Tart, sweet apples make this Apple Walnut Bread recipe moist, dense and delicious. It’s perfect for breakfast or dessert.
MAPLE GLAZED WALNUTS (OPTIONAL)*
- 1/4 cup raw walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar, light or dark
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup walnuts, raw or maple glazed walnuts, cooled and chopped (recipe above)*
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, light or dark
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sour cream or plain yogurt, room temperature
- 3 medium apples,**peeled (grate 1 1/2 cups of apple and chop the rest)
FOR THE ICING (OPTIONAL)
- 3/4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 tablespoon milk or heavy cream (plus more if icing is too thick)
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
MAPLE GLAZED WALNUTS (OPTIONAL)*
- In a small bowl, toss the nuts with the cinnamon and salt. Add them to a hot skillet over medium heat. Add the maple syrup and stir for 3 to 4 minutes until the nuts have toasted and the syrup caramelizes.
- Turn the walnuts out onto a sheet of parchment paper. Spread the nuts out. They’ll be hot and sticking together, so you’ll want to use two forks to unclump them instead of your hands. Allow nuts to cool for a few minutes and then lightly chop them.
- Combine the butter, flour, sugar, cinnamon, and prepared maple walnuts in a bowl butter in a small bowl. Set aside in the fridge to chill while you prepare the batter.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease and line a loaf pan with parchment paper. Leave excess paper along two sides to make it easier to remove the bread once baked.
- Sift together the dry ingredients and set aside.
- In a large bowl or in the bowl of an electric mixer, whisk to combine the sugar and vegetable oil. (Use a stand or hand mixer or whisk by hand).
- Beat the eggs in one at a time followed by the vanilla. Whisk in the sour cream or yogurt followed by the dry ingredients. Gently fold in the grated and chopped apples just until combined. Spread batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle sprinkle the crumble evenly on top of the batter.
- Bake for 50- 60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center. Allow cake to cool in pan for ten minutes and then turn it out to cool on a rack. Once completely cool, drizzle with icing if desired.
FOR THE ICING
- In a medium sized bowl, sift the powdered sugar. Add the milk and vanilla and use a whisk or spoon to combine.
**Substitution Options: Use walnuts or your favorite type of nuts with or without the maple glaze. If you skip the maple glaze step, j add an additional tablespoon of brown sugar in place of the maple syrup. To leave out nuts altogether, substitute the maple walnuts with an additional 1/4 cup of flour and an extra tablespoon of brown sugar.
**For the apples: McIntosh, Granny Smith, and/or Honey Crisp are recommended.
Keywords: apples, quick bread, apple coffee cake, icing, dessert, breakfast, walnuts, maple