This Baileys hot chocolate is rich, creamy and decadent! It’s made with just 7 ingredients and only takes 15 minutes! This boozy, indulgent winter drink is perfect for the holidays!
Bailey’s hot chocolate recipe is super chocolatey and rich. It’s spiked with delicious Baileys Irish Cream! It’s the perfect winter and holiday treat.
I have always wanted to make hot chocolate with Baileys. Turns out it’s super easy! All you need is a few minutes and a few simple ingredients.
Why We Love This Recipe
- You only need 7 ingredients and 15 minutes!
- This creamy hot chocolate recipe made with real chocolate. For another cozy chocolate treat, try my mini chocolate cheesecakes.
- Baileys adds a little kick and makes this drink extra indulgent.
- Add yummy toppings like marshmallows or shaved chocolate. It’s also delicious as is!
Here are some useful notes on the ingredients needed to make this hot chocolate toddy.
- Baileys Irish Cream- Baileys Irish cream is a creamy Irish liqueur. It is flavored with cream, cocoa, vanilla and Irish whiskey. It’s delicious in coffee and cocktails.
- Milk-I use whole milk.
- Sugar– Add granulated sugar a tablespoon at a time, to taste. You can also leave it out.
- Cocoa powder-Use unsweetened cocoa powder or Dutch processed. For another super chocolatey treat, try my flourless chocolate cake.
- Chocolate-I use semi-sweet chocolate. It’s not too sweet but not bitter. Good quality chocolate will give you the best flavor. Chop it finely so it melts quickly.
See recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and measurements.
Substitutions and Variations
- Top with marshmallows! Use leftover marshmallows to make these decadent s’mores brownies.
- Top with homemade or store bought whipped cream.
- Use heavy cream or half and half in place of some of the milk. I recommend1 and 1/4 cups milk with 3/4 cup heavy cream or half and half or just use all milk.
- Use dairy free alternative in place of the milk. Some dairy free milks are sweet. Keep that in mind before adding sugar.
- Sprinkle cocoa powder or chocolate shavings on top!
Step by Step Instructions
Step 1: (Photo 1 above) Add the milk (and heavy cream, if using) and cocoa powder to a saucepan over medium heat til the cocoa powder dissolves.
Step 2: (Photo 2 above) Take the pan off the heat. Stir in the chopped chocolate til melted completely.
Step 3: (Photo 3 above) Add the vanilla extract, and salt. Add sugar (if desired) and the Baileys Irish cream.
Step 4: Pour the hot chocolate into mugs immediately. Add toppings, if you like, and enjoy!
- Start by chopping the chocolate. It helps to have the chocolate chopped when you are ready to add it to the hot milk.
- Chop the chocolate finely. Finely chopped chocolate will melt faster.
- Use a combination of milk and cream. This will give you the richest hot chocolate.
Yes! Bailey’s is creamy and chocolatey on its own, so it’s really good in hot chocolate.
I like to put about two tablespoons of Bailey’s in each cup of hot chocolate. Feel free to add more or less, according to your taste.
Yes. Baileys should be refrigerated after opening.
More Recipes You’ll Love
Did you try this recipe or any other recipe on my website? Please leave a 🌟 star rating and 📝 comment below.
Baileys Hot Chocolate
- ¼ cup Baileys Irish Cream
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder natural unsweetened or Dutch-processed
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate chopped
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- Add the milk and cocoa powder to a saucepan. Whisk mixture over medium heat til the cocoa powder dissolves and the mixture is almost simmering.
- Take the pan off the heat. Whisk in the chopped chocolate til melted completely. Add the vanilla extract, and salt. Return the pot to the stove and reheat til hot again. Add the Bailey's Irish cream then serve immediately.
- Top with marshmallows, whipped cream, chocolate shavings, or cocoa powder and enjoy!
Please note that nutritional values are created by an online calculator and should only be used as an estimate.