This healthy, easy Baked Shrimp with Tomato Sauce and Goat Cheese recipe features shrimp topped with a refreshing tomato sauce and creamy goat cheese. Enjoy it for lunch, dinner, or an appetizer!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil plus more for drizzling 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp oregano, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1 pound raw medium shrimp, peeled and deveined with tails removed
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 425 F. Warm the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion. Cover, stir occasionally and cook until soft and lightly browned, about 7 minutes. Season with salt and add the garlic. Saute the garlic and onions for just about one minute.
2. Add the tomatoes and canned tomatoes (with their juices), chicken broth, and the teaspoon of the oregano. Increase heat to medium-high and simmer uncovered for ten minutes. Add the parsley and season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Coat the bottom of a casserole dish with one cup of the tomato sauce (just enough to barely cover the bottom of the dish). Place a layer of shrimp next to each other along the bottom of the dish. You should have four rows of three shrimp for the first layer. Make sure all the shrimp are facing the same direction. Season the shrimp lightly with salt and pepper. Add another layer of shrimp on top of the first layer. Again take care to make sure all the shrimp are facing the same direction. Add a final layer of shrimp on top of the existing shrimp.
4. Season with salt and pepper and spoon with the remaining tomato sauce on top. Gently place goat cheese over top each “layer” of shrimp. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle the top with remaining oregano. Bake in oven for 15-20 minutes until cheese has browned slightly.
To make enough for six rather than for four, make the same amount of sauce, but use a pound and a half of shrimp instead of one pound.