These Banana Blondies are buttery, chewy and delicious. They are full of banana bread flavor and chocolate chips. The recipe is super easy to make (no mixer required!)
These banana blondies have the delicious flavor of banana bread and the soft texture of blondies. They are rich and chewy and studded with chocolate chips. It’s hard to beat the combination of banana and chocolate!
For more banana recipes, try my Moist Fluffy Banana Bread, Cinnamon Swirl Banana Bread, and Blueberry Banana Coffee Cake.
WHY THIS RECIPE WORKS
- They taste like chocolate chip banana bread but with a chewy blondie texture.
- This banana blondie recipe is mixed together by hand.
- These banana chocolate chip blondies use basic pantry ingredients. You probably already have most of the ingredients!
- They take less than 25 minutes to bake. Bonus: they can be eaten while still warm. No need to wait for them to cool!
Below are some notes on the ingredients needed to make these banana chocolate chip blondies. Please see recipe card for instructions and ingredients measurements.
- Butter: Use unsalted butter. The butter can be melted or browned. Browning the butter adds an extra toasty, nutty flavor, but it is not necessary. Melted butter works fine too.
- Brown sugar: Use light or dark brown sugar. Make sure your brown sugar is fresh. For a little extra sweetness and flavor, use dark brown sugar.
- 1 egg: You’ll need 1 large, room temperature egg. Take the egg out of the refrigerator an hour before baking.
- Vanilla extract: for flavor
- Salt: Salt enhances the flavor of these blondies. Without salt, they would be bland.
- Flour: Use all purpose flour.
- 1 banana: This recipe uses 1/2 cup mashed overripe banana. You’ll need 1 medium banana. Over-ripe bananas are dark and spotted. They are sweeter than regular bananas and are perfect for baking.
- Chocolate chips: Use semisweet chocolate chips for the batter. You can also add sprinkle extra chocolate chips on top right before baking.
SUBSTITUTIONS & VARIATIONS
- Dark chocolate (optional): I love topping these blondies with extra chocolate chips or chopped They’re good quality and easy to break up. I used Lindt 70% Dark. Milk would be good here too if you like things extra sweet!
- Flaky sea salt: I love adding flaky sea salt when I take the blondies out of the oven. The sea salt intensifies the chocolate flavor and balances out the sweetness.
- Add some chopped nuts for extra flavor and a crunchy texture.
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS
Here are the directions on how to make this banana blondies recipe.
Step 1: (Pictured above) Brown or melt the butter. To brown the butter, first melt it in a medium sized saucepan or skillet. Once the butter has melted, stir it nonstop. Continue cooking until the butter begins to brown and light brown specks start forming at the bottom of the pan. This should happen in 5-8 minutes. Pour butter into a heat safe bowl.
Step 2: (Pictured above) Stir the brown sugar into the brown butter. Stir in the egg and vanilla extract.
Step 3: (Pictured above) Mash the bananas then stir them into the butter and sugar mixture.
Step 4: (Pictured above) Add the flour, salt and stir til just combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
Step 5: (Pictured above) Pour the batter into an 8 by 8 inch pan. Top with extra chocolate chips, if desired. Bake at 350 Fahrenheit for 20-23 minutes.
Step 6: (Pictured above) Place pan on a wire rack to cool.
No. Browning the butter adds a rich, nutty flavor that I just love in these blondies. It’s easy to do, but does add a few extra minutes. If you’re short on time, simply use melted butter!
No. These blondies are delicious as is. You can add some extra chocolate chips or some chopped chocolate on top if you like. They are also delicious without any extra chocolate.
Blondies are lighter in color than brownies. They have a less chocolatey, more nutty, butterscotch-like taste. Blondies don’t often use cocoa powder like brownies. Blondies are also often made with brown sugar instead of granulated sugar like brownies.
Use an overripe banana. Overripe bananas are soft, sweet and perfect for baking! Regular bananas aren’t as sweet as overripe bananas and they don’t mash up like overripe bananas, so make sure to use an overripe banana.
Use a potato masher or a fork to mash the banana.
Store these banana bread blondies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. Allow to cool completely before placing in a container.
Store blondies in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Chocolate chip banana bread blondies can be frozen for up to 3 months. Place the cooled blondies in a freezer safe bag or container. Write “banana blondies” and the date on the bag. Thaw overnight at room temperature before serving.
MORE RECIPES YOU WILL LOVE
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted or browned
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon brown sugar light or dark
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup mashed overripe banana about 1 medium overripe banana
- 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips plus more for topping (optional)
- Melt the butter in a medium sized saucepan or skillet (preferably light colored so you can better see the color changes) over medium heat. Once the butter has melted, stir it nonstop as you cook it at a gentle boil. Continue cooking until the butter begins to brown and light brown specks start forming at the bottom of the pan. This should happen in 5-8 minutes. Remove butter from heat and pour it into a heat safe bowl and allow it to cool slightly for a few minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line an 8 by 8-inch pan with parchment paper leaving a one inch overhang on two sides.
- To the melted butter, stir in the brown sugar with a wooden spoon or a spatula. Stir in the egg and vanilla followed by the mashed banana. Add the flour, salt and stir til just combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Use a spatula or offset spatula to spread the batter evenly. Top with extra chocolate chips, if desired (optional). Bake for 21-23 minutes, til just set in center.
- Remove from oven and place pan on a wire rack to cool. Allow to cool slightly before slicing.
One of the BEST recipes I’ve ever made! So simple to make and so delicious 😋 would highly recommend ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Hi Hillary, If this isn’t the best compliment ever, I don’t know what is! Thank you so so much for making these blondies. I’m so happy you enjoyed them 🙂
Natalie, came upon your site, looking for strawberry recipes using fresh berries. You have some awesome, recipes on your site. Thank you for sharing, and taking time to be the best.
Hi Bunny, Thank you so much for visiting my website and for taking the time to write such a nice comment! It made my day! I’m so happy you enjoy my recipes and it’s my pleasure to come up with them! Have a great day 🙂 Natalie
Such a delicious spin on banana bread! The flavors were perfect and they were so soft and moist. Also, super quick and easy to make!
Thank you for making these banana bread blondies and for taking the time to write a review, Kayla! So happy you enjoyed them!