Thick, chewy Brown Butter Chocolate Pear Cookies. Rich and chocolatey and fresh tasting thanks to fresh pear and lots of orange zest! Definitely not your average cookie recipe!
- 13 tablespoons unsalted butter, sliced into tablespoons
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup brown sugar, light or dark, packed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 ounces white chocolate, chopped
- 3 ounces dark chocolate
- 1 pear, peeled, cored and chopped into small pieces
- Melt the butter in a wide, shallow saucepan over medium heat. (Use a light colored pan if possible as this will help you better notice the butter change color). Start whisking it occasionally after the butter has melted and when the butter starts bubbling.
- The bubbles will turn to foam after 4-9 minutes. Once the butter starts foaming, you’ll want to whisk constantly so that you can better see what is going on underneath the foam.
- When brown bits begin forming on the bottom, remove from heat and pour it into a mixing bowl. Allow brown butter to chill in the fridge until it solidifies to room temperature.
In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda.
In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the orange zest, granulated sugar, brown sugar, solid brown butter on medium speed for two minutes. Add the egg and yolk and mix until just combined. Add the vanilla. Turn the mixer on low then slowly add the dry ingredients until just combined. With a spatula or wooden spoon, stir in the dark and white chocolate. Stir in the pear until combined.
Scoop the dough into balls using an ice cream scoop and set the balls on a baking sheet. Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for two hours.
Heat the oven to 370 F. Place the cookie dough balls on a parchment paper lined baking sheet about 3 inches apart. Bake for 15-17 minutes until the edges are golden brown and the centers are puffy yet soft. Allow to cool slightly on the baking sheet then transfer to a rack to cool completely.
Keywords: chocolate, dark chocolate, white chocolate, pear, pears, fruit, brown butter, browned butter, monster cookies, cinnamon, orange, orange zest