This recipe for brown butter toffee cookies with chopped chocolate makes the best cookies with slightly crispy edges and soft chewy centers!
- 1 cup unsalted butter, chopped
- 1 1/4 cup brown sugar (light or brown), packed
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup toffee bits
- 50 grams milk chocolate, chopped
- 50 grams dark chocolate, chopped
- Sea salt for sprinkling once baked
FOR THE BROWN BUTTER
- Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Stir occasionally at first. Once begins to bubble and comes to a boil, stir it constantly. It will start to foam. Continue stirring as you watch for it to turn a light, amber color and develop a nutty smell which should happen in about five minutes. Pour the brown butter into a heat safe bowl, making sure the scrape the bottom of the pan for all the bits. Place the butter in the fridge for about 30 minutes then proceed with the rest of the recipe.
FOR THE COOKIES
- Line baking trays with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 375 F.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugars on medium speed for 4-5 minutes or until mixture lightens in color.
- Add the egg and egg yolks one at a time. Scrape down the sides of the bowl then add the vanilla. Add the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Fold in the toffee, followed by the chocolate.
- Form the dough into balls of about two tablespoons of dough and place on prepared baking sheets about three inches apart.
- Bake 9-11 minutes or until edges begin turning golden brown and the centers are pale. Allow cookies to cool on the baking sheet for ten minutes then transfer to a rack to cool completely. Sprinkle each cookie with a generous pinch of sea salt once removed from the oven!
Keywords: Brown butter, toffee, toffee bits, chocolate, chopped chocolate, dark chocolate, milk chocolate, cookies, brown sugar