Make this one pot Chicken Tagine with Preserved Lemons and Potatoes for a flavorful, Moroccan inspired meal. It’s healthy, impressive, and delicious!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 pounds chicken thighs, bone-in, with or without skin
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 2–3 cups water
- 1 pound and a half of creamer potatoes or new potatoes
- 1/2 cup green and or Kalamata olives
- 1/2 preserved lemon, cut into slices
- 1 tablespoon each chopped parsley and cilantro
1. In a deep skillet or Dutch oven, saute the onions, garlic, and chicken in olive oil over medium heat. Season with salt and pepper and saute for 7-10 minutes, turning the chicken once. Cook until chicken becomes golden.
2. Add the ginger and turmeric and just enough water to almost cover the chicken. Start with 2 cups water and add more if needed. Bring to a boil over medium heat then reduce heat to a simmer and cover. Cook for about 30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through, turning the chicken half way through cooking.
3. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the chicken to a plate. Cover with aluminum foil.
4. Add the potatoes to the sauce and cook until the potatoes are cooked through and the sauce has reduced and has thickened. When potatoes are close to being cooked, add the olives, parsley, cilantro and preserved lemon or lemon juice. Cook for ten more minutes. Add the chicken back into the pot to warm through and serve!