These Chocolate Chip Rice Krispie Treats are made with brown butter, extra marshmallows, vanilla and chocolate chips. They’re salty, sweet, chewy, crispy, gooey and delicious!
FOR THE RICE KRISPIE TREATS
- 11 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Two 10-ounce (11 cups) bags of mini marshmallows, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 9 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 3/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- flaky sea salt, for sprinkling on top, optional
- Line a 9×13 inch dish pan with parchment paper leaving excess on two sides (this will make the treats easier to remove from the pan once finished). Lightly spray or grease the parchment paper.
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium low heat. Stir occasionally at first. Once the butter begins to foam, stir constantly as you watch for it to turn a light, amber color then light golden brown. When it becomes light brown and has a nutty smell, remove the pan from the heat. This should take 3-4 minutes total. There will be some little light brown bits on the bottom of the pan. That will add flavor. If the bits became too dark, strain the brown butter through a fine sieve to strain it, before returning the brown butter to the pan.
- Stir 9 1/4 cups of marshmallows into the brown butter off the heat until the marshmallows have melted. Stir in the vanilla and salt followed by the rice krispies. Stir until the rice krispie treats are coated with the marshmallow butter mixture then allow mixture to cool in the pot for about five minutes. Once mixture has slightly cooled, fold in the remaining 1 3/4 cups of mini marshmallows followed by the chocolate chips. Mix quickly and until just combined. It’s okay if some of the remaining marshmallows and chocolate chips will melt or melt slightly. They’re delicious if everything melts OR is partially melted. If you don’t want the reserved marshmallows or chocolate chips to melt, wait at least ten minutes before adding them.
- Turn the mixture out into the parchment paper lined pan. Use your (greased or slightly wet) hands, a greased spatula or your leftover butter wrapper to gently spread and press the mixture evenly into the pan.
- Let the rice krispie treats set for about 30 minutes.
- Use the parchment paper to lift the rice krispie treats out of the pan and cut them into squares.
Keywords: rice krispies, rice krispie cereal, cereal, easy, no bake, rice krispie treats, marshmallows, chocolate chips, kids