This easy recipe for moist chocolate gingerbread cupcakes with whipped cream makes the most delicious holiday treats!
FOR THE CHOCOLATE GINGERBREAD CUPCAKES
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons Dutch process cocoa (plus a little extra to sprinkle for decoration, if desired)
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 ounces mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
FOR THE WHIPPED CREAM
- 1 cup cold heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a medium sized bowl, Sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cocoa. Set aside. In a medium sized bowl, stir to combine the boiling water and molasses. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla then mix in the eggs one at a time.
- Alternatively add the dry ingredients and the water and molasses mixture to the sugar and butter mixture.
- Fill greased or paper lined muffin tins 2/3 or 3/4 full and bake 17-20 minutes. Let cool in muffin tin for 10 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Top with a dollop of whipped cream and sprinkle with cocoa, if desired.
FOR THE WHIPPED CREAM
- For best results, chill the bowl and beaters in the fridge or freezer for 15- 20 minutes before using. Beat the whipping cream on medium-high speed. Let the cream mix for a few minutes while watching carefully. When you have soft peaks, gently pour the sugar in followed by the vanilla. Continue mixing until you have medium peaks.
Prepare whipped cream and top the cupcakes just before serving, if possible. Store cupcakes in an airtight container in the fridge.
Keywords: Chocolate gingerbread cupcakes, cupcakes, gingerbread, Christmas, holidays, chocolate