These easy flourless chocolate cupcakes make the best fudgy, rich treat! Gluten free and perfect for weekdays or company. Top with ice cream or homemade whipped cream!
FOR THE CUPCAKES
- 6 ounces semisweet, dark, or bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil or melted unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon espresso powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
FOR THE CHOCOLATE WHIPPED CREAM*
- 1 cup cold heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
- Generously grease a muffin tin. Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Melt the olive oil and chopped chocolate together in the microwave in two 20 second intervals. Stir very well in between intervals. Set aside and let cool for a few minutes while you assemble the rest of the ingredients.
- In a large bowl, stir together the sugar, salt, espresso, cocoa and vanilla. Pour in the melted chocolate and olive oil mixture. Stir in the eggs and mix until just combined. Stir in the chocolate chips and pour mixture into prepared pan. Spread evenly and bake for 25-30 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
FOR THE CHOCOLATE WHIPPED CREAM
- For best results, chill the bowl and beaters or whisk attachment in the fridge or freezer for 15- 20 minutes before using. In the bowl of an electric mixer or using a hand held mixer, beat the whipping cream on high speed for 2 minutes. Turn the mixer to low and pour the powdered sugar and cocoa in followed by the vanilla. Turn the mixer back up to high and continue mixing until you have medium to stiff peaks, about 3 more minutes.
*Alternatively, you could add raspberries to the whipped cream. Keep it chocolate flavored and add raspberries or omit the cocoa powder and add raspberries. Lightly crush the raspberries with a fork before folding them in.
Keywords: espresso, chocolate, chocolate chips, dark chocolate, cupcakes, mini cakes, whipped cream, raspberriese