This Fruity Fruity Pebbles Cake is as colorful, cheerful and so flavorful! Three layers of moist cake studded with fresh fruit and Fruity Pebbles all topped with tangy sweet cream cheese frosting! Perfect for any occasion!
FOR THE CAKE
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup plus 3 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 3/4 teaspoons orange zest
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lime zest
- 1/2 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 1/3 cup strawberries, lightly pureed
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon fresh blueberries (tossed in 1 tablespoon all purpose flour)
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons Fruity Pebbles
FOR THE FRUITY CREAM CHEESE ICING
- 1/2 unsalted butter, room temperature
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 3/4 – 4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
FOR THE CAKE
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease 3 6″ straight edge cake pans. Line with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk to combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Wash and dry blueberries. Set aside. Wash and dry strawberries. Remove tops and cut into quarters. Pulse a few seconds until lightly chopped. Set aside.
- In a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or in a large bowl using a hand held mixer cream the butter and sugar til light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the lightly pureed strawberries and blend til combined. Add the vanilla extract and zests of lemon, lime and orange and mix til combined.
- Stir in half the dry ingredients with a spatula. Stir in the buttermilk. Stir in the remaining dry ingredients til just combined. Toss the blueberries with flour then gently stir into the batter. Stir in the Fruity Pebbles just til combined.
- Pour batter evenly into greased layer pans. Bake for 23-27 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of each cake. Remove from oven and place a cooling rack on top of each cake pan and invert. The cake should fall to the rack on its own.
- Allow cakes to cool at room temperature before trimming tops. Once cooled, use a cake leveler or a sharp bread knife to trim the tops of the cakes to make sure you have even layers. Wrap cake layers tightly in plastic wrap and chill in the fridge or freezer til ready to assemble.
- When ready to assemble, spoon 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup frosting on top of the first layer. Use an offset spatula to spread the frosting. Repeat with remaining layers. Frost sides as desired. Stir Fruity Pebbles into frosting or frost the cake and add Fruity Pebbles to the frosted cake. Top with more Fruity Pebbles and fresh fruit, if desired.
FOR THE CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and the cream cheese on medium until combined. Turn the mixer to low and add the powdered sugar, lemon zest, lime zest, orange zest, vanilla extract and salt. Beat 2-3 minutes or until light and fluffy. If the frosting is too thick, add up to a tablespoon more of milk until desired consistency. If it’s too thin, add more powdered sugar, a tablespoon at a time.
Keywords: fruity pebbles, cake, fruit, cereal, layer cake, cream cheese frosting, icing, lemon