This Lemon Shortbread Cookies with Candied Fruit recipe is made with a delicious, rich buttery shortbread. They’re tender and are full of lemon flavor and a chewy, crunchy texture thanks to candied fruit and toasted hazelnuts!
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 3 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup dried red cherries, quartered
- 1/4 cup candied lemon peel, diced
- 1/4 cup hazelnuts, toasted, chopped
- Sift together the flour and salt and set aside. Cream the butter and sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed for about 3 minutes, until fluffy. Add the lemon zest and juice followed by the egg yolk. On low speed, slowly add the dry ingredients and mix until just incorporated. Stir in the hazelnuts, cherries and lemon peel.
- Turn the dough out onto the counter top and form the dough into a 10 inch rectangle. Roll it in plastic wrap and chill the dough for about 2 hours or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 350 F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Slice the cookie dough into rounds about 1/4″ in size. Place them on the prepared baking sheets about 1 ” apart and bake 10-12 minutes until the edges just begin to turn golden brown. Let cool on the baking sheets for 10 minutes then transfer them to racks to cool completely.