Made with all your favorite fruit, hints of lemon and ginger, and a buttery, homemade pie crust, this mixed berry galette is the best summertime dessert.
FOR THE CRUST
- 1 1/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cold, cubed
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 3–5 tablespoons cold water
FOR THE FILLING
- 1 cup blackberries
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup raspberries
- 1/2 cup strawberries, halved or quartered
- 1 1/2 tablespoons corn starch
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 inch knob of fresh ginger, peeled and grated (alternatively 1 teaspoon of vanilla can be used)
- pinch of salt
- Chop butter into cubes and place in the fridge while you assemble the rest of the ingredients.
- Fill a small bowl with some cold water and an ice cube. Stir the ice cube around a bit and set bowl aside.
- In a food processor, pulse together the flour, sugar, and salt. Add the cubed butter and pulse until the dough forms pea sized balls. Add the lemon zest and lemon juice and the ice water a tablespoon at a time while continuing to pulse mixture until mixture is just combined.
- Divide dough on a sheet of plastic wrap. Gently form and press down on the dough into a disk or square shape and tightly cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- While the dough chills, prepare the filling. In a medium sized bowl, gently mix together the berries, sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, ginger (or vanilla), and salt.
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Place dough between two sheets of parchment paper. Roll dough out into a 1/8 inch thick circle or rectangle or any rustic shape. The edges can be left ragged, no need to trim them since galettes are typically rustic looking. Transfer dough to a baking sheet.
- Place filling in a strainer or use a slotted spoon to spoon the fruit (minus the juices) onto the dough, leaving a 1 1/2 inch border. Try to spread the fruit out into one even layer rather than a big heaping pile. Fold edges and gently press down to seal the dough. Brush the edges with the egg wash and generously sprinkle with coarse sugar. Refrigerate for 15 minutes then bake for 35-40 minutes until crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling in the middle. Allow to cool for ten minutes on the baking sheet then serve with or without ice cream!
Keywords: galette, fruit, berries, mixed berries, pie, pastry, dough, raspberries, blueberries, strawberry, blackberry