This easy Neapolitan Marble Cake recipe is tender, moist and delicious! Made with one cake batter flavored with vanilla, chocolate and strawberry giving it beautiful swirls and lots of flavor!
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2/3 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 1⁄4cup cocoa powder, preferably Dutch processed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil or melted butter
- 1/2 cup strawberries, lightly pureed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons strawberry jam
- a few drops of pink or red food coloring, optional
FOR THE ICING
- 3 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 3 teaspoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Butter a 9 by 5 inch loaf pan, line it with parchment paper leaving excess paper hanging over the sides along the length of the pan and butter the parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk to combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or in a large bowl using a hand held mixer), beat the butter and sugar 4-5 minutes, til light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time and mix until combined then add the vanilla. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as you go. Add flour alternatively with the buttermilk. Divide the batter into thirds.
- In a small bowl, mix the cocoa and canola oil until smooth. Add the cocoa mixture to one of the three bowls of cake batter and stir til combined. To another bowl of batter, stir in the pureed strawberries and jam. Add a couple of drops of food coloring (if desired) until desired color is achieved.
- Spoon the three batters into three alternating spoonfuls (vanilla, chocolate strawberry) across the prepared pan. It should look like a checkerboard. Place different color batters on top of the existing batter to create a second layer of batter.
- To marble the cake, use a knife or skewer to run swirls from side to side and top to bottom. Turn the pan and swirl the knife through the batter one more time. Avoid over swirling.
- Bake, rotating the pan halfway through, until a cake tester comes out clean, 40 to 50 minutes. Transfer pan to a rack to cool 10 minutes. Turn out cake from pan and cool completely on the rack.
FOR THE OPTIONAL ICING
- Blend the butter and cream cheese in a bowl. Beat in the vanilla and add the powdered sugar a bit at a time. Add the milk and blend until smooth. Drizzle or pour over cake.
Keywords: marble, marble cake, cake, neapolitan, chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, pound cake, buttermilk, dessert