Start with some soft, classic sour cream cookies, add some fresh orange zest and juice and you get these super flavorful chocolate orange cookies! Dip them in dark chocolate and you have the perfect treat!
As you can tell, I’m excited about the citrus in these cookies. It’s not my first time making orange chocolate cookies. This time though, I used my great grandmother’s recipe for sour cream cookies.
I swapped half the sugar for brown sugar and added the orange zest, juice, jam, almonds and chocolate. Sounds like a lot of changes, but it’s still pretty close to her soft, classic sour cream cookie recipe.
It’s an easy, straightforward recipe. Once the batter is made, you’ll drop it by rounded tablespoons onto a baking sheet lined lined with parchment paper. Lightly flour the bottom of a glass and use it to flatten the balls. Brush the tops with egg white then lightly press shaved almonds on top.
Once the cookies have baked, set them on a baking rack to cool completely. Grab a pastry brush and some jam and brush the tops. I prefer orange jam since it brings out the flavor of the cookie inside, but other flavors would work too.
MELTING THE CHOCOLATE
The last and funnest step is to dredge each cookie in some melted dark chocolate! There are a couple of ways to melt chocolate and The Spruce Eats has a great how-to article on melting chocolate.
I’ve (sadly) burned chocolate before while trying to melt it, so definitely recommend reading over some tips before going for it. I’m much better at melting chocolate these day and find both the double boiler and microwave methods pretty easy!
In addition to being fun to make, this chocolate and orange cookie recipe are tasty and pretty. If you love orange flavored cookies dipped in chocolate, these are the cookies for you.
I hope you love these chocolate orange cookies! In the mood for more chocolate? Head over to my recipe for Boston Cream Pie Cupcakes and enjoy!Print
Everyone loves these soft Chocolate Orange Cookies filled with orange zest and orange juice, topped with shaved almonds, orange jam, and dipped in dark chocolate.
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 beaten egg
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Zest of one orange
- 1 tbsp orange juice
- 1/3 cup shaved almonds
- 2–3 tbsp orange jam
- 3–4 oz dark chocolate, melted
- Sift dry ingredients together. Cream sugars and butter.
- Add egg to sugar mixture and blend well then add vanilla, orange zest and juice and stir. Add dry ingredients alternatively with sour cream. Beat all together well.
- Drop by rounded tablespoons onto parchment paper lined baking sheets then flatten with lightly floured bottom of a glass.
- Brush cookies with the egg white and lightly press shaved almonds on top as decoration.
- Bake at 375°F for 10-12 minutes then remove from oven.
- Allow cookies to cool on racks. When cool, brush the cookies with orange jam and dip 1/4- 1/3 of each cookie in the melted dark chocolate. Return to racks and allow them to dry before serving.