Everyone will love this Pomegranate Mascarpone Whipped Cream Cake Roll. Soft, sweet vanilla cake with a delicious mascarpone whipped cream filling.
FOR THE VANILLA CAKE ROLL
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup sugar
FOR THE POMEGRANATE MASCARPONE WHIPPED CREAM*
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, cold
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 7 ounces mascarpone cheese, drained, cold
- 2 pomegranates
FOR THE DECORATION
- powdered sugar, for dusting
- 1 pomegranate
FOR THE VANILLA CAKE ROLL
Preheat oven to 375 F. Line a half sheet pan or a jelly roll pan with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray.
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat the eggs until thick and lemon colored, about 5 minutes.
With the mixer running, gradually beat in the granulated sugar until all is well combined.
Turn the mixer to low and add the vanilla extract. Gradually add the flour, baking powder, and salt. Beat til just combined.
Pour the batter into the pan. Using a spatula or offset spatula, spread the batter, making sure to spread it to the edges and corners. Bake the cake for 11 to 14 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center.
While the cake is baking, spread out a clean dish towel onto the counter and generously dust it with powdered sugar. (The powdered sugar will keep the cake from sticking to the towel).
Remove the cake from the oven. Run a knife between the cake and the edges of the pan to loosen it in case it’s sticking and carefully flip it upside down on the prepared towel. Remove the parchment paper and carefully trim the edges of the cake if they are stiff. Start at the shorter end of the cake and roll the cake and towel up. Place it seem side down on a cooling rack. Allow to cool completely.
- Once cooled, carefully unroll the cake. Remove the towel and spread a thick layer of Mascarpone whipped cream evenly over the cake (you’ll have some whipped cream leftover) then cover the whipped cream with a layer of pomegranate arils (seeds). Carefully roll up the cake up again. Sprinkle with a heavy dusting of powdered sugar, if desired, and extra pomegranate arils down the center of the cake. Slice and serve with extra pomegranate arils! This cake is best enjoyed the same day. Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
FOR THE POMEGRANATE MASCARPONE WHIPPED CREAM
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whip the heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar and vanilla extract on high speed until you have soft peaks.
- Add the mascarpone cheese and whip til stiff peaks form.
*You’ll have extra whipped cream left. Use it to “frost the cake” or serve it alongside the cake!
Keywords: pomegranate, whipped cream, mascarpone, cake roll, jelly roll, holidays, cake, Christmas