Baking season continues with these shortbread cookies with mini chocolate chips! Ok, who am I kidding, it’s always baking season for me. Maybe I should call it shortbread season since I just made a zesty lemon shortbread a couple days ago. I loved the dough so much and had to try it with chocolate chips! This recipe for shortbread cookies with mini chocolate chips is super easy and makes buttery, dreamy, melt in your mouth Christmas cookies!
As I mentioned, I used the same dough as my lemon pistachio shortbreads. They turned out so sweet looking and tasting and left me wanting more! I chose a flavor I love possibly even a little more than lemon: chocolate!
The dough is very simple and versatile. Simply mix it together, stir in the chocolate chips and form it into a log. Chill the dough until firm. I recommend chilling it for two hours. Once firm, simply slice and bake!
YOUR CHOICE OF CHOCOLATE
Instead of the lemon zest and juice, these cookies have vanilla and lots and lots of mini chocolate chips! These cookies are cute and delicious with any type of chocolate.
Feel free to use:
- mini chocolate chips
- regular chocolate chips
- your favorite chocolate bar (chopped up)
- chocolate chunks (You may need to use a sawing motion with your serrated knife when cutting the slices if you use chocolate chunks!)
DECORATING THE COOKIES
I love the simple sweetness of these cookies. They’re also super tasty and pretty with a little extra finishing touches. It can be fun to dip the edges or dip half the cookie in melted chocolate.
Just melt some semi sweet or milk chocolate chips in a bowl in the microwave until just melted. Carefully dip the edges or half of each cookie into the chocolate. Let dry on a wire rack.
FOR MORE CHOCOLATEY TREATS, MAKE MY:
- CHOCOLATE PISTACHIO THUMBPRINTS!
- CHOCOLATE GINGERBREAD CUPCAKES WITH WHIPPED CREAM
- BANANA MUFFINS WITH CHOCOLATE CHIPS
These easy, buttery, melt in your mouth shortbread cookies with mini chocolate chips are crumbly, rich and bursting with flavor! Perfect for Christmas or anytime of the year!
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
FOR THE COOKIES
- Sift together the flour and salt and set aside. Cream the butter and sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed for about 3 minutes, until fluffy. Add the vanilla, followed by the egg yolk. On low speed, slowly add the dry ingredients and mix until just incorporated. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Turn the dough out onto the counter top and form the dough into a 10 inch log. Roll it in plastic wrap and chill the dough for about 2 hours or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 350 F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Using a serrated knife, slice the cookie dough into rounds about 1/4″ in size. Place them on the prepared baking sheets about 1 ” apart and bake 12-14 minutes until the edges just begin to turn golden brown. Let cool on the baking sheets for 10 minutes then transfer them to racks to cool completely.
Keywords: shortbread, chocolate chips, chocolate, dessert, holiday, Christmas