This Strawberry Basil Cake makes a super moist, flavorful dessert. The easy to make olive oil cake is flavored with fresh strawberries, basil and lemon zest. It’s topped with strawberry basil mascarpone whipped cream!
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup fresh basil (one bunch), finely chopped
- 1 ounce freeze-dried strawberries, ground to a fine crumb
- 1/2 cup (about 2 1/2 ounces) fresh strawberries, hulled and pulsed in a food processor
FOR THE MASCARPONE WHIPPED CREAM
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, cold
- 1/2 cup plus 1-2 tablespoons (to taste) powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh basil, finely chopped (don’t chop until just before using)
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon fresh strawberries, pureed
- 7 ounces mascarpone cheese, drained, cold
- Strawberries, whole or chopped (Serve on top of or alongside cake), optional
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray a 9 inch baking pan with nonstick baking spray. Line the bottom with parchment paper. Spray again.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk to combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a food processor, blend the freeze dried strawberries to a fine crumb. Stir the ground freeze dried strawberries into the dry ingredients.
- Add the fresh strawberries to a food processor.* Pulse 3-4 times. You should have some small and some medium pieces.
- Finely chop the basil. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer using a whisk attachment on medium speed, beat the sugar, eggs, and lemon zest until thick, fluffy, and pale, about 3-4 minutes. Slowly add the olive oil with the mixer on medium high speed. Add the chopped basil and beat until combined, about 2 minutes. Reduce speed to low, and add the fresh strawberries alternatively with the dry ingredients, ending with the dry ingredients.
- Pour the batter into the cake pan. Bake 30-34 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of the cake (a few crumbs are okay).
- Place the pan on a rack and cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Remove cake from the pan and allow to cool completely on the rack.
- Once cooled or before serving, dust with powdered sugar or top with mascarpone whipped cream.
MASCARPONE WHIPPED CREAM
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whip the heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar and vanilla extract on high speed until you have soft peaks.
- Add the basil and mascarpone cheese and whip til just medium peaks form. Add the strawberry puree and beat until just before stiff peaks form. Taste test. Add more basil if stronger if you prefer a stronger basil flavor.
TO ASSEMBLE THE STRAWBERRY BASIL CAKE
- Spread the mascarpone whipped cream on top of the cooled cake. Top with additional whole or chopped strawberries, if desired. Enjoy!
*No need to wash the food processor after grinding the freeze dried strawberries. I pour them out then use it to pulse the fresh strawberries.
Keywords: mascarpone, mascarpone cheese, cake, olive oil, strawberries, basil, strawberry basil cake, mascarpone whipped cream