Make these delicious Strawberry Filled Cupcakes with Fresh Strawberry Buttercream for the perfect summer dessert! Like strawberry shortcakes, these from scratch cupcakes have ALL the strawberry flavor. Featuring a whole strawberry roasted inside each cupcake and fresh strawberry buttercream, you’ll want to make this summer dessert all year long!
FOR THE CUPCAKES
- 3/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk
- Strawberries (8 whole, hulled)
FOR THE STRAWBERRY BUTTERCREAM
- 3 fresh strawberries, hulled, lightly purred
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- pinch of salt
- 2 1/4 cups powdered sugar, sifted (add more, if needed, to thicken)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon milk or heavy cream (if needed, to thin out frosting)
- Preheat oven to 350°F and place paper liners in muffin tins.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar with a mixer for 3-4 minutes until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after the addition of each egg.
- Alternatively add the dry ingredient mixture and milk to the sugar mixture, mixing well after each addition and be sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Fill cupcake liners with 2 tbsp of the batter. Place one strawberry in the middle of each cupcake. With one hand, hold the berry in place and with the other hand, carefully our one more tablespoon of batter around the strawberry.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of a cupcake. Cool for about ten minutes in the muffin tins and then remove to a rack to cool completely.
FOR THE STRAWBERRY FROSTING
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the butter and salt on medium for 2-3 minutes until light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl now and after each addition of powdered sugar. Turn mixer to low and add 1 cup of the powdered sugar until combined and smooth. Add the remaining powdered sugar.
- Turn the mixer up to medium and mix in the vanilla. Add the strawberries and whip on medium until combined. If frosting is too thin, add more powdered sugar. If it’s too thin, add milk or heavy cream.
For more of a pink frosting, add a bit more strawberries.
Keywords: Strawberries, strawberry, cupcakes, strawberry filled, frosting, icing, buttercream, fruit, summer