This easy, healthy Sweet Potato Chocolate Cake with Dark Chocolate Ganache is made with a cocoa based batter with sweet vanilla and studded with chocolate chips. Luscious dark chocolate ganache is the perfect topping!
SWEET POTATO IN A CAKE
Can’t believe Thanksgiving is only days away! This year will be a different kind of Thanksgiving, but like every year, I’m thinking about dessert recipes, specifically this Sweet Potato Chocolate Cake.
This is a chocolate cake unlike any other. It’s healthy, chocolatey, somewhat understated, and super special! You won’t taste the sweet potato but it will lend so much moisture to this extra moist chocolate cake!
OTHER RECIPES WITH INTERESTING INGREDIENTS
This is not my first time baking with unexpected fruits and vegetables. In fact, if you’ve tried my delicious Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread, you will definitely want to make this. Other chocolate treats with unexpected ingredients are my Avocado Brownies and Banana Brownies!
MORE ABOUT THIS SWEET POTATO CHOCOLATE CAKE
Unlike some healthy cakes, this one is extra moist and chocolatey. My secret ingredients are mashed sweet potato and buttermilk. The buttermilk makes the cake moist and light while the mashed sweet potato adds moisture and a bit of nutrition.
This isn’t just a chocolate cake. It’s a chocolate cake studded with mini chocolate chips and slathered with chocolate ganache. Seriously, it’s the chocolate that you’ll taste and will make people almost drop their forks when you tell them there’s a sweet potato baked in there!
SWEET BUT NOT OVERLY SWEET
I typically like to make my desserts just right when it comes to sweetness. This is definitely a just sweet enough cake. I have a sweet tooth and it’s just sweet enough for me.
If you have a big sweet tooth, I think you’ll love this cake. If you want it a little on the sweeter side, add an extra tablespoon of brown sugar to the batter and consider using semi-sweet chocolate instead of dark for the ganache. Topping the cake with a scoop of ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream are also delicious ways to make the cake even sweeter!
WHAT’S IN THIS SWEET POTATO CHOCOLATE CAKE?
- Sweet potato
- Vegetable Oil
- Granulated Sugar
- Brown Sugar, light or dark
- Vanilla extract
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- Mini chocolate chips
- Heavy Cream
- Dark Chocolate
BAKING WITH SWEET POTATOES
The star of this cake is the sweet potato. It adds a subtle, can’t pinpoint it flavor and natural sweetness to the cake. The closest thing I can compare it to is baking with pumpkin.
HOW TO MAKE SWEET POTATO PUREE
This recipe calls for 1 cup of pureed sweet potatoes. To get this, you’ll simply cook your sweet potato, peel it, then puree it. Cook and puree the sweet potato using whatever method you like.
SUGGESTIONS FOR COOKING YOUR SWEET POTATO
- Boil it: Chop your sweet potato into chunks and place it in an medium saucepan filled with cold water. Bring it to a boil. Once boiling, reduce it to medium and simmer until sweet potato chunks are tender. (They are tender when a knife can easily pierce a piece).
- Bake it: Preheat oven to 400 F. Prick the sweet potato allover with a fork. Bake 45-60 minutes, until fork tender. Once it’s cool to the touch, peel the sweet potato.
- Microwave it: Prick the sweet potato allover with a fork. Microwave the sweet potato for at least five minutes or until tender (flipping over halfway). Allow to cool slightly then peel.
MASHING THE SWEET POTATO
Once cooked and peeled, mash the potato with a fork, potato masher, or a food processor.
ABOUT THE DARK CHOCOLATE GANACHE
I’ve been going on about the cake portion, but I gotta say the dark chocolate ganache is equally praise worthy. Paired together, the ganache and cake are chocolate perfection.
I was going to say that dark chocolate is having a moment, but it seems like it’s always having a moment! I went with dark chocolate here since, like the cake, it has a strong chocolate flavor, but is not overly sweet.
My husband absolutely loved this cake because he’s a huge dark chocolate fan. You can definitely substitute the dark chocolate for semi-sweet since the cake itself is not overly sweet.
THIS GANACHE IS:
- Thick: Sets up nicely.
- Silky Smooth: Easy to spread.
- Shiny: So pretty when it sets.
- Chocolatey: Chocolate on chocolate!
- Easy: Two ingredients and two minutes to make!
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE DARK CHOCOLATE GANACHE
- Dark Chocolate: Chopped. Chopping it makes it melt faster/easier.
- Heavy Cream: Makes it super rich and spreadable.
SERVING THE CAKE
HOW TO SLICE IT
This cake makes 9 bigger pieces or can be cut into 12 smaller pieces.
WHAT TO SERVE IT WITH
To make this cake a bit sweeter and more decadent, serve it with:
- A Scoop of Ice Cream: Any flavor would be delicious!
- Homemade whipped cream recipe: So fresh tasting and the perfect sweet, decadent finishing touch.
- Chocolate Whipped Cream: Also fresh tasting and emphasizing all the chocolate flavor!
NEW FAVORITE CAKE
This Sweet Potato Chocolate Cake is healthy, rich, chocolatey and is for sure my favorite go-to chocolate cake recipe! It’s a foolproof recipe that everyone will love! Perfect for weeknights or even special occasions!Print
This Sweet Potato Chocolate Cake with Dark Chocolate Ganache is so delicious and super healthy for a cake! Super chocolatey, moist cake topped with a rich, luscious chocolate ganache!
- 1 cup of cooked sweet potatoes, peeled, boiled, mashed*
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar, light or dark
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
FOR THE CHOCOLATE GANACHE
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 3/4 cup (about 4 ounces) chocolate, dark or semi-sweet, chopped
FOR THE WHIPPED CREAM (OPTIONAL)
- Spray an 8 inch square pan with cooking spray. Line with parchment leaving an overhand on two sides. Spray the parchment with cooking spray. Preheat oven to 350 F.
In a medium sized bowl, whisk to combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
In a large bowl or the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the oil and sugar for one minute on medium speed. Add the eggs one at a time and beat an additional 2-3 minutes, until mixture thickens. Add the vanilla followed by the mashed sweet potato. Alternatively add the buttermilk with the dry ingredients.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Spread with a spatula or offset spatula. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the top of the cake springs back when pressed or a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Place the pan on a cooling rack for 10 minutes.
Run a knife along the sides of the cake pan. Use the parchment paper to lift the cake out of the pan. Place the cake on the cooling rack and allow to cool completely before frosting.
FOR THE DARK CHOCOLATE GANACHE
- Heat the heavy cream in the microwave until it starts to bubble. Pour the hot cream over the chocolate and let it sit for 3 minutes. Whisk the two ingredients together until the chocolate has melted completely and you have a silky ganache. Spread the mixture over the cake.
- Place the cake in the fridge for 30 minutes to allow the ganache to set. Enjoy as is or top with whipped cream or ice cream!
*FOR THE PUREED SWEET POTATO (Follow one of the following methods):Boil it: Chop your sweet potato into chunks and place it in an medium saucepan filled with cold water. Bring it to a boil. Once boiling, reduce it to medium and simmer until sweet potato is tender. Bake it: Preheat oven to 400 F. Prick the sweet potato allover with a fork. Bake 45-60 minutes, until fork tender. Once it’s cool to the touch, peel the sweet potato. Microwave it: Prick the sweet potato allover with a fork. Microwave the sweet potato for at least five minutes or until tender (flipping over halfway). Allow to cool slightly then peel.
Keywords: sweet potato, chocolate, cake, chocolate chips, healthy, dark chocolate, chocolate ganache