We’re just days away from the official first day of summer, but as far as these fresh, fruity blueberry donuts are concerned, summer is already here! These lemon blueberry cake donuts have all the must haves of summer baking, meaning they are: fresh, fruity, and easy. Just minutes to make the batter, ten minutes of baking and a two minute icing, what could be easier? They’re also full of bursts of fresh blueberries and pops of lemon flavor!
PERFECT SUMMER TREAT
My favorite way of eating fresh, in-season fruit? Fresh, of course. A close second, however, would be simple recipes like these Lemon Blueberry Donuts. Lemon and blueberry are perfect together and are so fresh tasting.
Whether you go blueberry picking or get some blueberries at the store, you’ll love how they taste in these donuts! I can’t mention blueberries without mentioning my Blueberry Cream Cheese Pound Cake! It’s moist, rich, and has a homemade blueberry sauce swirled throughout!
MINIMAL BAKING TIME
No need to leave the oven on for an hour or even a half hour, these cake donuts bake up just about ten minutes. Meaning they leave you more time to enjoy the summer and that you don’t need to have your hot oven on for long.
ABOUT BAKED DONUTS
I love classic yeast donuts, but I make cake donuts when I don’t have time to or feel like letting yeast rise and cleaning up a mess. The batter comes together like a cake batter and the donuts have more of a cake texture than a classic donut texture.
This is my second recipe for cake donuts, my first being these must-make Chocolate Frosted Chocolate Cake Donuts. If you love chocolate and donuts then you have to try them! They’re moist, tender, and, of course, super chocolatey!
THESE BAKED DONUTS ARE:
- Slightly healthier: They’re not fried in oil, so are a bit healthier.
- Simple: Just mix the batter and pour it into the pan.
- Less Messy: No counter to clean off or oil to deal with.
- Fun: Who doesn’t love the sight of donuts especially when they’re coming out of your oven!
- Delicious: They have a cake-like, light, fluffy, moist texture and super chocolatey taste!
To make baked donuts, you’ll need a donut pan. Donut pans are basically molds with holes in the middle which give your batter a donut shape.My donut pans make six donuts, so I have two pans. Just makes it easier to bake them all at once using two pans!
HOW TO MAKE THIS BLUEBERRY CAKE DONUT RECIPE
This recipe require just two bowls (one for wet ingredients, one for dry), a few simple steps, ten minutes to bake and a three-ingredient glaze.
To make the batter, in a large bowl, whisk to combine the dry ingredients. Next, whisk together the egg, vanilla, milk, lemon juice and lemon zest and melted butter in a medium sized bowl. Stir the egg-yogurt mixture into the dry ingredients and fold in the blueberries.
*A note about mixing the wet and dry ingredients: Be ready to add the yogurt mixture to the dry ingredients right away. If you mix the melted butter into the egg/yogurt mixture then let it sit, it can clump up pretty quickly.
I find the easiest way to neatly and evenly get the thick batter in the pan is by filling a piping bag or zip lock bag and snipping off a corner. Fill them about 3/4 or a little more than 3/4 full. Bake 8-10 minutes then let them cool on a rack before adding the glaze and decorations.
EASY LEMON ICING
I can attest to the fact that these donuts are delicious plain! That said, I loved the added sweetness of this easy lemon icing. It also brings out all the lemon flavor of the donuts!
To make the icing, you just stir together some powdered sugar, lemon juice and zest until smooth. No need to sift the powdered sugar since it’ll pretty much dissolve/melt with the lemon juice.
Like most donuts, these donuts are at freshest and most flavorful if enjoyed the day they’re made. If you have any left after the first day, definitely store them in the fridge.
Cannot wait for you to make these Lemon Blueberry Cake Donuts! I would make them even if they took more effort and time to make because they’re that GOOD! Bonus that these delicious baked donuts are quick and easy!Print
These Lemon Blueberry Cake Donuts are easy enough to make any day of the week! Moist, tender and delicious, they’re filled with fresh lemon and blueberries and topped with a tart-sweet lemon icing!
FOR THE DONUTS
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar plus 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup blueberries
FOR THE LEMON GLAZE
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1–3 tablespoons lemon juice, milk or heavy cream
FOR THE DONUTS
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and grease donut pans well with butter (preferable- for flavor) or nonstick spray.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the egg, vanilla, milk lemon juice, lemon zest, and melted butter.
- In a large bowl, whisk to combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Stir the egg-yogurt mixture into the dry ingredients. Gently stir in blueberries
- Use a piping bag or zip lock bag or spoon to fill the dough into the donut molds between 2/3 and 3/4 full.
- Bake 9-11 minutes. Let cool in the pans for 10 minutes then remove from pan and let donuts cool completely on wire rack.
FOR THE LEMON GLAZE
- In a medium sized bowl, stir the lemon juice, lemon zest and powdered sugar together .
TO DECORATE THE DONUTS
- Dip the cooled donuts in the glaze or drizzle the glaze over top. Allow glaze to set or enjoy right away!
Keywords: donuts, baked donuts, doughnuts, cake donuts, blueberry, blueberries, lemon, lemon glaze, lemon icing, breakfast, dessert, fruit