Hot chocolate cookies are the perfect cookies to bake this weekend. Cocoa, dark brown sugar, vanilla, chocolate chips and mini marshmallows. They’re soft, gooey and chewy and are basically hot chocolate in cookie form. Easy, delicious, and the sweetest kind of comfort food.
I thought it might be past the season to make hot chocolate cookies, but we woke up to snow twice this past week here in Ottawa. In addition to the snow and chilly temps, social distancing and spending almost all our time has me wanting comfort food like never before. Hearty soups seem to be my preferred savory comfort food and for sweets? Definitely chocolate.
These hot chocolate marshmallow cookies will definitely make you think you’re eating hot chocolate in a cookie form. They actually remind me a little of Italian hot chocolate which is even thicker and chocolatier than the Swiss Miss packets I grew up on in the US.
THESE HOT CHOCOLATE COOKIES ARE:
- a perfect comfort food (like a soothing, sweet cup of cocoa with marshmallows)
- soft and chewy (thanks to a whole cup of brown sugar)
- perfectly flavorful (loaded with vanilla and molasses flavor from dark brown sugar)
- super chocolatey (full of both cocoa and chocolate chips)
- gooey (chewy, tender with melty chocolate chips and soft, sweet mini marshmallows are baked on top)
- easy to make (no chilling, simple ingredients and take less than an hour)
Because it’s always a good idea to bake chocolate chip cookies, especially when browned butter, pumpkin butter, and cinnamon sugar are involved.
HOW TO MAKE HOT CHOCOLATE COOKIES
Great news is that these comfort food cookies are just a few easy steps away! It’s a simple recipe made with basic ingredients. There are just a couple of ingredients that you may or may not have on hand, but I have substitutes for them.
- Mini marshmallows: I like how cute and fun mini marshmallows look, but regular marshmallows could also be used. Just slice them in half or in thirds and plop one right in the middle at the same time in the recipe that you’d add the mini marshmallows.
- Dark brown sugar: You can use light brown in place of dark brown sugar. I prefer dark brown sugar because it adds more of a molasses flavor, but both light and dark will work.
MAKING THE COOKIE DOUGH
This is a pretty standard cookie dough. I like to whisk to combine the dry ingredients first and have my eggs and butter out at room temperature before I start. Using the stand mixer makes things easier, but a hand held mixer works too!
Once you have the cookie dough mixed up, form the balls and place them on the cookie sheet. I usually bake six cookies at a time. Before putting the cookies in the oven to bake, it’s nice to stick a few more chocolate chips into the balls. I say a few which originally meant three or four, but I found myself loading them on with each batch of cookies I baked!
ADDING THE MARSHMALLOWS
The marshmallows don’t go into the oven until the last minute or two. Once the cookies have baked and taken shape, take them out of the oven and quickly and gently press three or four mini marshmallows onto each cookie. Pop them back into the oven for a minute or two. This will give the marshmallows time to stick onto the cookies.
No need to press them down or cook them til they get color. That would make them more s’mores cookies and we want cute, fluffy white marshmallows.
These hot chocolate cookies are not just for winter! They are perfect for anytime you are craving a chocolatey treat. They’re soft, chewy, gooey and are the ultimate comfort food cookie!
FOR MORE CHOCOLATE COOKIE RECIPES, BAKE THESE:
- SOUR CREAM CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
- SHORTBREAD COOKIES WITH MINI CHOCOLATE CHIPS
- TRIPLE CHOCOLATE CRINKLE COOKIES
This easy recipe for hot chocolate cookies makes chewy, chocolatey delicious cookies! Cocoa and chocolate chips add tons of chocolate flavor while marshmallows add gooey sweetness!
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 21/4 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups chocolate chips (semi-sweet or dark), divided
- About 1 cup mini marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 350 F and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer with the paddle attachment or with a handheld mixer on medium speed, cream the butter and sugars for 2-3 minutes, until creamy and pale. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula then add the eggs one at a time with the mixer on medium speed. Add the vanilla.
- With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Using a spatula or wooden spoon, stir in 3/4 cup of the chocolate chips.
- Use a 1-ounce cookie scoop to drop the cookies onto the cookie sheet. Place them 3″ apart. Top each cookie with a 4-5 extra chocolate chips.
- Bake 9 minutes. Remove from oven and carefully stick 2-4 marshmallows on each cookie. Place sheet back in oven and bake another 1-2 minutes or until the center is just set. Let cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes before then transferring them to a rack to cool.
Keywords: hot chocolate cookies, hot chocolate, hot cocoa, chocolate, chocolate cookies, chocolate chips, marshmallows