Cranberries, feta, Granny Smith apples, olives, green and red peppers, red onions, and more! I had an amazing salad like this one this past winter at a little pizza place in Ottawa. I’m sure my version of this Cranberry Feta Salad is different from the source of inspiration since I didn’t create my recipe until months later, but I definitely nailed the delicious and fresh tasting parts!
When you first see this salad on a plate or platter, you can’t help but stare as you notice all the beautiful colors and textures. It’s true that the lettuce, apples, peppers and olives are all green, but they’re different shades of green. The strawberries, cranberries and peppers are all red but…..same deal….they’re all different shades of red! The red onion slices and bits of feta add splashes of purple and pops of white all just making you want to pick up your fork and get right in there!
My friends and family all love this salad and have started requesting I make it and/or asking for the recipe. The reason I think it’s so well-liked is because it’s full of fresh ingredients. I wanted to keep the dressing as clean and fresh tasting, so went with my favorite lemon-olive oil vinaigrette which is just chopped garlic, lemon, salt and pepper with olive oil whisked in.
This colorful Cranberry Feta Salad is overflowing with flavor and endless combinations of tasty bites! You might end up with a forkful of lettuce, apple, and feta or a combination of cranberries, olives and red peppers, but you can be sure that each bite will be coated in that slightly tangy and super fresh dressing and will be delicious!
It’s hard to believe that this crowd pleasing, tasty beauty is super easy to make! You can throw it together as a treat on weeknights or when you’re having people over and want to serve something special that everyone will love!
Cranberry Feta Salad
- 2 tomatoes diced
- 1 Granny Smith apple chopped
- 1 green bell pepper finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper finely chopped
- ¼ cup olives of your choice green, black, kalamata recommended, pitted and roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped strawberries
- ¼ cup finely sliced red onions
- ¼ cup cranberries
- 5 cups romaine lettuce
- ½ cup feta cheese crumbled
- ½ cup microgreens
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- 1 Granny Smith apple sliced into ¼-½ “ thick slices
- 1 strawberry sliced (see picture and instructions)
- Wash and shred lettuce and add to a large bowl.
- To the lettuce, add the chopped tomato, apples, olives, peppers, and onion.
- Add the cranberries, feta, and micro-greens and dressing.
- Mix/toss well and serve on a large platter or shallow bowl (if planning to decorate edges with apple slices).
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice and garlic. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Slice the apple and place slices along the edge of the platter or shallow bowl. You may choose to decorate the entire edge or simply place an apple slices on the top, bottom, and sides of the dish.
- Using one large strawberry (use your best looking berry), slice the strawberry from the bottom to the top (do not slice it all the way, leave the leaves and bottom in tact so it stays together). Slice it several times (number of slices varies by size of the strawberry). Gently pull the slices back so that it opens like a fan and place the strawberry decoration on top of the salad.