You’re going to love the color, taste, texture, and smell of these amazing fritters! These Creamy Garlic Potato Fritters are loaded with creamy mashed potatoes, onion, garlic, freshly chopped herbs, and savory spices making them a definite must-try food!
Looking at the picture the ingredients for these fritters definitely gives you an idea of all the flavor tucked inside them! The freshness of the herbs, onion and garlic give these fritters a freshness typically not found in fritters. Richly flavored cumin and turmeric add depth of flavor.
Despite being a comfort food, these golden fritters can definitely be considered “sorta healthy”! Their creamy mashed potato fillings are made without cream. They get their richness from the eggs and healthier ingredients.
Unlike crispier potato fritters or cakes, the potatoes are boiled and mashed already prior to getting formed. They bind together nicely and take on a light coating of flour because you’ll mix two eggs in them. That light coating will help them crisp up perfectly in the olive oil!
Sense-wise, you’ll love how the golden color from the turmeric and flecks of green from the fresh herbs hints at the flavor inside. Oh and wait until you smell the cumin and the rest of your fresh ingredients hitting the warm potatoes! It’s the kind of senses-overload thing that makes you love cooking!
These Creamy Garlic Potato Fritters are super popular in Morocco. They’re known as maakouda and are commonly enjoyed these as a side at lunch, the biggest meal of the day.
In a food world with plenty of potato fritter recipes, these Creamy Garlic Potato Fritters are unique, exotic, and capable of satisfying everyone’s craving for comfort food!
Creamy Garlic Potato Fritters
- 4 medium potatoes peeled and chopped
- 3 tbsp parsley and cilantro chopped
- 3 tbsp onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- salt and pepper
- flour for coating
- oil for frying olive oil recommended
- Peel, chop and boil potatoes in lightly salted water until they are tender but still firm. Drain then mash the potatoes with a potato masher or fork.
- In a bowl, combine the eggs, parsley and cilantro, onion, garlic, cumin, turmeric, and salt and pepper.
- Mix well then add to the reserved potatoes. Stir well to make sure the potatoes have absorbed all the flavors.
- Form 3” fritters and delicately toss them in flour so that they are lightly coated. Carefully dust off any excess flour.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat about 2" of oil over medium high heat. Add the fritters in batches. Once golden, flip and cook until both sides until golden and crispy.
- Drain on paper towels then enjoy!