Enjoy both the warmth of homemade muffins and the look and flavor of bakery style treats with these lemon blueberry muffins! They’re fluffy and moist with bursts of blueberries and lemon! The best part could definitely be the flavorful delicate crumble on top that is loaded with specks of lemon zest!
WHY MAKE MUFFINS AT HOME?
You can pick up muffins from the grocery store or bakery, but muffins are one of the most heart warming things you can make in the kitchen! The smell while they’re baking is better than any candle and the oven gives off the best kind of warmth as they bake!
They stay soft and moist for days, but in my opinion they’re best eaten straight out of the oven.
INGREDIENTS AND SUBSTITUTES
Writing this recipe during social distancing days, I want to offer some substitutes and variations so that you wouldn’t need to make a trip to the store for something. I’ve made several variations of these muffins and each batch was delicious! Below are some options. Feel free to use what you have/like:
- SUGAR: Use white or light or brown sugar or a combination.
- BLUEBERRIES: Of course the more the better, so I like to use 2 cups. You could make them with anywhere between 1 1/2 to 2 cups. You can also use frozen blueberries. Don’t thaw them beforehand and keep in mind you might need to bake the muffins for a few extra minutes if using frozen blueberries. I should mention there is a chance that frozen blueberries will bleed and turn the batter a blueish purple color! Not ideal looking but still great tasting!
- BUTTERMILK: Buttermilk adds a delicious, slightly tangy flavor, and a moist, tender texture to muffins. No need to make a trip to the store for buttermilk! Just substitute the buttermilk for the same amount of plain, full fat yogurt or whole milk and the muffins will still turn out great!
- BUTTER: I prefer unsalted but salted can be used.
- MUFFIN LINERS: If you’re like me and are out of paper cupcake liners, just grease the muffin tin really well.
HOW TO MAKE THE MUFFIN CRUMBLE TOPPING
Arguably the best part of these lemon blueberry muffins is the crumble topping! Honesty, I secretly strategize about how I’m going to eat the crumble topping. Should I eat is first? Should I eat in in combination with the rest of the muffin?! I mean…..it’s got melted butter, sugar, and lemon zest…baked up it’s an unreal flavor and texture!
It’s a good idea to mix the topping up first and put it in the fridge while you make the batter. To make it, just mix together the flour, melted butter, sugar, and lemon zest. Use a spoon or your hands to mix it all up. I like to leave some bits smaller and some a little chunkier as in the picture above.
TIPS FOR MAKING THE MUFFIN BATTER
If you’re like my friend Sam, you Facetime or text me mid-baking to ask questions! I love those calls because it’s really cute seeing her in her kitchen baking. Here are some answers to some questions that you (or Sam) might have!
- WHY SHOULD I TOSS THE BLUEBERRIES IN THE DRY INGREDIENTS? Toss them in the dry ingredients to help prevent them from sinking to the bottom of the muffin as they bake. 🙂
- IF I FILL THE MUFFINS TO THE TOP OF THE TIN, WON’T THEY SPILL OVER WHILE THEY BAKE? No, they will form the most delicious muffin tops! Fill the liners with the batter.
- WHAT’S THE BEST WAY TO POUR THE BATTER INTO THE LINERS? I like to use an ice cream scoop. It’s less messy and faster than using a spoon.
- HOW DO I ADD THE CRUMBLE TOPPING TO THE MUFFINS IF THERE ISN’T MUCH ROOM AND THE CUPCAKE TIN IS ALREADY FULL OF BATTER? Carefully spoon the crumble on top of each muffin. You’ll most likely need to use your hands to “stick” it on or make sure you get the crumble evenly distributed to all sides of the muffins.
- HOW DO I KNOW WHEN THEY’RE DONE? There are a couple good ways to know this. One way is to stick a toothpick into the center of one. If it comes out clean (i.e. without any wet crumbs), then they’re done. Another way to check is to press a muffin lightly with your finger. If it springs back, they’re done.
Hope these lemon blueberry muffins add some warmth and love to your homes and your day! Enjoy them warm, at room temperature and at any time of the day or year!
FOR MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES, TRY MY:
- BANANA MUFFINS WITH CHOCOLATE AND PEANUT BUTTER CHIPS
- UPSIDE DOWN BLACKBERRY CUPCAKES
- LEMON SOUR CREAM COOKIES
These lemon blueberry muffins make the best homemade muffins! They are moist, tender and delicious! Filled with bursts of blueberries and lemon zest and topped with a tender, flavorful crumble!
FOR THE STREUSEL
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons butter, melted
- zest of 1 lemon
FOR THE MUFFINS
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup sugar, use light brown, dark brown, granulated or a combination
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon buttermilk (plain yogurt or whole milk can be used instead)
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 3/4 teaspoons vanilla
FOR THE STREUSEL
- Combine the melted butter, flour, sugar, and the lemon zest in a bowl butter in a small bowl. Set aside in the fridge to chill while you prepare the batter.
FOR THE MUFFINS
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Stir together until just combined. Pour in the blueberries and toss them in the mixture to coat them. Set bowl aside.
- To a medium sized bowl, add the melted butter, buttermilk, vanilla, eggs, sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice. Whisk to combine.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir gently until just combined. Use an ice cream scoop to evenly distribute the batter into the prepared cupcake tin. (The cupcakes will be filled to the rim with batter). Top with the crumble. Bake 23-27 minutes or until a toothpick comes out without wet crumbs when inserted in the middle of a muffin.
- Let cool in tin for 5-1o minutes then transfer muffins to a wire rack to cool completely.
Keywords: blueberries, blueberry, muffin, streusel, lemon, breakfast, dessert