Soft, chewy, sweet, and chocolatey are how I’d describe these sour cream chocolate chip cookies. Sour cream makes these cookies super soft. The recipe is extremely easy which makes it possible to make these addicting cookies in under 30 minutes!
CLASSIC RECIPE WITH A FEW CHANGES
I typically like coming up with new and different cookie recipes, but I think it’s good to revisit classics as well. If you haven’t made sour cream cookies before and you’re a cookie fan, you need to make these! Sour cream makes baked goods super moist and delicious.
This Old Fashioned Sour Cream Crumb Cake from Sally’s Baking Addiction is another great example of an ultra moist sour cream recipe.
Instead of the two sticks of butter like sugar cookies or shortbread, this recipe uses a stick and a half. The rest of the moisture and creaminess comes from sour cream. You can’t really taste it, but it makes the cookies stay super soft for days!
MY GREAT GRANDMA’S RECIPES
I used my great grandmother’s old fashioned sour cream cookie recipe. My great grandmother’s recipes are my favorite source for classic recipes such as banana bread. I sometimes make her recipes as is or make a few changes. They are delicious, timeless and well tested recipes!
To my great grandmother’s sour cream cookie recipe, I added:
- extra vanilla (for flavor)
- some brown sugar (for additional flavor and chewiness)
- one package of semi-sweet chocolate chips (no explanation needed!)
EASY AND QUICK
These from scratch cookies are just about as easy as a boxed mix. By easy, I mean no need to roll out the dough or make frosting. You just scoop, bake, and enjoy. By quick, I mean no need to chill the dough. It can go straight from the mixing bowl to the tray to the oven.
HOW TO MAKE SOUR CREAM CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
- Start by lining your baking trays with parchment paper and preheating the oven.
- Whisk the dry ingredients together and set aside.
- Add the sugars and butter in the bowl of an electric mixer and mix to combine. Make sure to scrape down the sides of your bowl as you add additional ingredients.
- Add the beaten egg followed by the vanilla.
- Turn the mixer to low speed so you don’t end up with flour flying all over before this next step. Alternatively add the sour cream and dry ingredients.
- Using a spatula or wooden spoon, stir in the chocolate chips.
- Form into balls of about 2 tablespoons of batter each. I like to use a cookie scoop for this to make sure the balls are the same size. Bake until they just start to become golden brown on the tops.
Once baked, store the cookies in an air tight container for about 3 days. Also, after forming the cookies into balls, they freeze well and can be baked later.
CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE ICE CREAM SANDWICHES
In addition to just being so darn good as is, these cookies also make amazing ice cream sandwiches! Get the recipe here!
Soft, chewy and loaded with chocolate chips, whether you’ve tried sour cream cookies before or not, I’m super excited for you to try my recipe for sour cream cookies with chocolate chips!
FOR MORE CHOCOLATEY RECIPES, TRY MY:Print
This easy recipe for sour cream chocolate chip cookies makes soft, chewy melt in your mouth treats! No chill and ready ready in about 30 minutes!
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 F and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt Set aside.
- Cream the sugar and butter in the bowl of an electric mixer with the paddle attachment or with a handheld mixer on medium speed until just combined.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl then add the egg and blend well then add the vanilla.
- With the mixer on low speed, alternatively add the dry ingredients with the sour cream.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Use a 2 tablespoon cookie scoop to drop the cookies onto the cookie sheet. Place them 2″ apart.
- Bake 10-12 minutes. Let cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes before then transferring them to a rack to cool completely.
For flatter looking cookies, flatten cookies using the floured bottom of a glass before baking.
Keywords: chocolate chip cookies, cookies, sour cream cookies