If you like caramel and maple, you’re going to love maple caramel! Simply combine butter, heavy cream and pure maple syrup and the result is a rich, smooth sauce flavored and sweetened by maple syrup! Maple syrup caramel is a decadent treat to top anything from oatmeal and pancakes to carrot cake and ice cream!
I’ve been into making caramel lately and after making chocolate caramel, I decided it was time for another one of my favorite flavors: maple.
Being that I’m from Northern New York, went to college in Vermont and now that I live in Canada, I’m definitely a huge maple syrup fan! Most people don’t know this about New York, but we’re actually the second largest maple syrup producer after Vermont in the US!
TIPS FOR MAKING MAPLE CARAMEL
Making maple caramel is not hard and doesn’t take long, but it does require your full attention! To make the process of making caramel easier, it’s important to read over the directions a few times BEFORE getting started. It’s also a good idea to have ALL your ingredients and materials prepared and next to the stove.
INGREDIENTS FOR MAKING MAPLE CARAMEL SAUCE
- real maple syrup
- butter (salted or unsalted, at room temperature)
- cream (at room temperature)
- sea salt (optional)
Salt is optional, but recommended. It definitely the maple flavor!
- a medium sized sauce pan with a heavy bottom
- a candy thermometer
USES FOR MAPLE CARAMEL
My preferred method of enjoying maple caramel is to eat it by the spoonful! Other delicious ways to enjoy it are:
- Drizzled over hot cereal
- As a topping for pancakes or waffles
- On top of muffins
- On top of cupcakes (even on top of frosting on top of cupcakes!)
- As a topping for cheesecake
- Drizzled over a frosted cake (I will be doing this)
- Over ice cream (sauce can be heated by short intervals in the microwave before using)
I just made a fresh batch of maple caramel yesterday and cannot wait to enjoy it! I’m thinking about making a carrot cake today and know this is going to taste so amazing drizzled on top!Print
This silky maple caramel sauce is a decadent treat flavored with and sweetened by maple syrup! Use it to top anything from oatmeal and pancakes to carrot cake and ice cream!
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons heavy cream, room temperature
- 1 1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter, room temperature, cubed
- In a medium saucepan with a heavy bottom, bring the maple syrup to a boil over medium heat. Allow to simmer until a candy thermometer reaches 230 F.
- Remove from the heat and gradually add the cream. Bring back to a boil and cook, while stirring, until smooth. Add the butter and stir until melted. Stir in salt, if using. Transfer to a bowl or jar and let cool completely.
Keywords: Maple syrup, maple caramel, maple syrup caramel, maple caramel sauce, caramel, dessert, topping, sauce