Chocolate Frosted Chocolate Cake Donuts: double chocolate donuts, chocolate glaze, flaky sea salt, and rainbow sprinkles. Baked means there’s no big mess to clean up here. Delicious, fast and easy leaving you lots of time to get outside now the beautiful summertime weather!
MAKING DONUTS AT HOME
I love donuts, but tend to think of them as something that requires several steps and leaves a bit of a mess. There’s no replacing freshly fried donuts, but it’s nice to know that it’s also possible to bake donuts.
Judging by the number of baked donut recipes I am accumulating on my blog, you can tell I love them! They’re so easy and are perfect for breakfast, brunch, dessert, or anytime of the day. For a tangy-sweet, bright tasting donut, I love these Lemon Blueberry Cake Donuts!
BAKED DONUTS ARE:
- Slightly healthier: They’re not fried in oil so are a bit healthier
- Simple: Just mix the batter and pour it into the pan.
- Less Messy: No counter to clean off or oil to deal with
- Fun: Who doesn’t love the sight of donuts especially when they’re coming out of your oven!
- Delicious: They have a cake-like, light, fluffy, moist texture and super chocolatey taste!
To make baked donuts, you’ll need a donut pan. Donut pans are basically molds with holes in the middle which give your batter a donut shape.My donut pans make six donuts, so I have two pans. Just makes it easier to bake them all at once using two pans! I use these nonstick Wilton pans for baking donuts.
CHOCOLATE, CHOCOLATE, AND MORE CHOCOLATE
The batter for these chocolate donuts is made with both cocoa powder and semi-sweet chocolate. To top off the chocolatey flavor, the simple two-ingredient glaze is made with warm heavy cream poured over semi-sweet chocolate chips.
HOW TO MAKE CHOCOLATE DONUTS
These donuts require just two bowls (one for wet ingredients, one for dry), a few simple steps, ten minutes or less to bake and a two-ingredient glaze. The batter comes together and looks a lot like cake batter.
To make the batter, whisk to combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Next, whisk together the egg, vanilla, yogurt, milk and melted butter in a medium sized bowl. After that you simply stir the egg-yogurt mixture into the dry ingredients.
A note about mixing the wet and dry ingredients: Be ready to add the yogurt mixture to the dry ingredients right away. If you mix the melted butter into the egg/yogurt mixture then let it sit, it can clump up pretty quickly.
I find the easiest way to neatly and evenly get the thick batter in the pan is by filling a piping bag or zip lock bag and snipping off a corner. Fill them about 3/4 or a little more than 3/4 full. Bake 8-10 minutes then let them cool on a rack before adding the glaze and decorations.
THREE MINUTE CHOCOLATE GLAZE
I can attest to the fact that these donuts are delicious plain! That said, everything is more delicious with frosting. This frosting is actually just a simple two-ingredient, three minute ganache.
To make the ganache, or chocolate glaze, simply pour hot heavy cream over a bowl of chocolate chips. Let it sit for three minutes then stir til smooth.
This rich, sweet ganache is from my Boston cream pie cupcake recipe. It’s delicious and so are these cupcakes!
DECORATING THE DONUTS
Let the ganache cool slightly then dip each donut upside down into the ganache. This will give the donuts the most delicious chocolate glaze tops! Set the fresly glazed donuts on a cooling rack.
The glaze will also act like a glue for whatever you choose to sprinkle on top. Sprinkle some flaky sea salt or some colorful rainbow sprinkles. You could even keep the chocolate flavors going by sprinkling chocolate sprinkles!
Like most donuts, these donuts are at freshest and most flavorful if enjoyed the day they’re made. If you keep them around for more than a day, definitely store them in the fridge.
These super easy Chocolate Frosted Chocolate Cake Donuts are the perfect way to satisfy both chocolate and donut cravings! You won’t believe how quick they are to make and how quickly they will disappear once baked!
For more delicious chocolate recipes, try my:Print
Make these easy Chocolate Frosted Chocolate Cake Donuts any day of the week! Moist, tender and delicious, they’re filled with chocolate and topped with an easy two-ingredient ganache!
FOR THE DONUTS
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder, unsweetened natural or Dutch processed
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup semisweet mini chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted or vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup yogurt
- 1/4 cup milk
FOR THE CHOCOLATE GANACHE GLAZE
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- sea salt flakes
FOR THE DONUTS
- Preheat the oven to 375 F and grease donut pans well with butter.
- In a large bowl, whisk to combine the flour, sugars, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the egg, vanilla, yogurt, milk and melted butter.
- Stir the egg-yogurt mixture into the dry ingredients. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Use a piping bag or zip lock bag or spoon to fill the dough into the donut molds between 3/4 full and full.
- Bake 8-10 minutes. Let cool on wire rack.
FOR THE CHOCOLATE GANACHE
- Place the chocolate chips in a heatproof bowl. In a small saucepan on low heat, bring the heavy cream to a boil then pour over the chocolate chips. Do not stir.
- Allow to sit for 3 minutes then stir till smooth. Allow to cool slightly before using.
TO DECORATE THE DONUTS
- Dip the donuts in the glaze or drizzle the glaze over top. Sprinkle with sprinkles or sea salt. Enjoy!
Keywords: donuts, doughnuts, chocolate, ganache, frosting, glazed, sprinkles, sea salt, icing, baked donuts, cocoa, chocolate chips
*This site contains affiliate links which means that I may receive commissions for purchases made through these links. Please know I only link to products that I use and can recommend based on my experience!