Cranberry Almond Ricotta Cake. Enjoy it for breakfast, dessert and snacking in between! Ricotta adds richness, moisture and a nice flavor. Cranberries add a burst of color and flavor while brown sugar and butter coated almonds make the perfect topping!
ABOUT THIS CRANBERRY ALMOND RICOTTA CAKE
This Cranberry Almond Ricotta Cake is both simple and special. It’s special enough to serve for a holiday and at the same time is something that takes little time and effort. Definitely a must make!
This cake is an understated, rustic beauty. It reminds me a lot of my Blood Orange Olive Oil Cake recipe. It’s perfectly sweet, not overly sweet and can be served as is. It also reminds me of this simple yet stunning Blueberry Cream Cheese Pound Cake.
BAKING WITH RICOTTA
Chances are you’ve cooked with ricotta cheese before, but have you baked with it? Ricotta is pretty mildly flavored when it comes to baking but it does add a moist, creamy texture! I absolutely love it in these Lemon Ricotta Muffins. It makes these Ricotta Donuts super moist and delicious!
INGREDIENTS FOR THIS CRANBERRY RICOTTA CAKE
This cake is pantry friendly. Here’s the simple list of the ingredients:
- Baking powder
- Butter, unsalted, room temperature
- Granulated sugar
- Brown sugar, light or dark, packed
- Ricotta cheese, room temperature
- Eggs, room temperature
- Almond extract
- Vanilla extract
- Cranberries, fresh or frozen
- Almonds, sliced, slivered or chopped
HOW TO MAKE THIS RICOTTA CAKE
- First things first, bring your ingredients to room temperature and prepare your springform pan, and preheat the oven.
- Melt the butter and sugar in a saucepan. Add the almonds and cook for a couple of minutes just until the almonds are well coated.
- Whisk to combine the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Cream the butter, sugars, and ricotta until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla and almond extract. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Fold the dry ingredients in with a spatula followed by 1 cup of the cranberries.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared. Use an offset spatula to spread the batter evenly. Top with the remaining 1/2 cup of cranberries and the almonds.
- Bake 35-45 minutes until cake is golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool at least 30 minutes before serving.
HOW TO SERVE THIS CAKE
This Cranberry Almond Ricotta Cake is surprisingly versatile. It’s simple and rustic which means it does not require much time or effort. I love this cake for:
- Breakfast: There’s a cup and a half of ricotta cheese in it which gives it a little protein and it’s not overly sweet! It’s so perfect with a cup of coffee.
- A snack: I admit, a slice of birthday cake for a snack could be seen as overdoing it. This cake though….perfectly acceptable as a snack in my opinion.
- Dessert: Rustic to me means two things- simple and chic. This cake is both. It may seem understated due to its simplicity, but it’s different and simple enough to be attention grabbing! To make it a bit sweeter and indulgent, serve it with ice cream or homemade whipped cream!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT THIS CRANBERRY RICOTTA CAKE
Keep the cake in an air tight container or wrap it well. It can be stored up to two days at room temperature. After two days, it’s a good idea to refrigerate it.
I prefer to bake with whole milk ricotta. The extra fat found in whole milk ricotta makes this cake extra moist.
In addition to savory dishes, ricotta is delicious in pancakes such as these Lemon Ricotta Pancakes by Cooking Classy!
You are going to love this Cranberry Almond Ricotta Cake. It’s perfectly festive, sweet and pretty and couldn’t be easier to make! Enjoy it for breakfast, dessert….or to have on hand for a mid day snack!Print
This simple Cranberry Almond Ricotta Cake gets its moist, rich texture from ricotta and is flavored with almond and vanilla extracts. Studded with cranberries and topped with brown sugar coated almonds.
FOR THE CRANBERRY ALMOND RICOTTA CAKE
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, light or dark, packed
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk ricotta cheese
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups cranberries, fresh or frozen, divided
FOR THE TOPPING
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, light or dark
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
FOR THE TOPPING
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the 2 tablespoons of butter and sugar. Add the almonds and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring, until the almonds are well coated. Set aside.
FOR THE CRANBERRY ALMOND RICOTTA CAKE
- Butter then line with parchment paper the bottom of a 9″ springform pan or the bottom of a round 9″ cake pan. Sprinkle with powdered sugar then tap out any excess. Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, whisk to combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter, sugars, and ricotta for 4-5 minutes on medium speed, until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla and almond extract. With the mixer on low, add the eggs one at a time. Fold the dry ingredients in with a spatula followed by 1 cup of the cranberries.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared. Use an offset spatula to spread the batter evenly. Top with the remaining 1/2 cup of cranberries followed by the almonds.
- Bake 35-45 minutes until cake is golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the cake. Cool at least 30 minutes before serving.
Keywords: cake, ricotta, almonds, cranberries, cranberry