Cranberry Almond Ricotta Cake. Enjoy it for breakfast or dessert….or even for snacking. Ricotta make this cake moist and rich and adds a nice flavor. For a burst of color and flavor, cranberries stud and top the cake. Brown sugar and butter coated almonds make the perfect topping. Serve it with whipped cream or enjoy it as is!
ABOUT THIS CRANBERRY ALMOND RICOTTA CAKE
What makes this Cranberry Almond Ricotta Cake perfect for this time of the year is that it’s both simple and special. It’s delicious and special enough to serve for a holiday and at the same time is something that takes little time and effort. I love having it snack on during the holidays. Can’t go wrong!
This cake is definitely an understated, rustic beauty. It reminds me a lot of my Blood Orange Olive Oil Cake recipe. It’s perfectly sweet, definitely not overly sweet and can be served as is. It also reminds me of this simple yet stunning Blueberry Cream Cheese Pound Cake. If you want to sweeten and jujj (spelling?!) it up a bit, you can serve it with fresh whipped cream!
BAKING WITH RICOTTA
I’ve baked with ricotta before, but this is the first recipe I came up with for it. I used to love reading old Italian cookbooks from my local library and was always intrigued by their use of ricotta in cakes. I love the flavor and texture ricotta adds. This will definitely not be my last ricotta recipe!
This cake is pretty pantry friendly. Here’s the simple list of the ingredients along with a few substitute options:
- Baking powder
- Butter, unsalted, room temperature
- Granulated sugar
- Brown sugar, light or dark, packed
- Ricotta cheese, room temperature
- Eggs, room temperature
- Almond extract
- Vanilla extract
- Cranberries, fresh or frozen
- Almonds, sliced, slivered or chopped
HOW TO MAKE THIS CAKE
- First things first, bring your ingredients to room temperature and prepare your springform pan, and preheat the oven.
- Melt the butter and sugar in a saucepan. Add the almonds and cook for a couple of minutes just until the almonds are well coated.
- Whisk to combine the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Cream the butter, sugars, and ricotta until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla and almond extract. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Fold the dry ingredients in with a spatula followed by 1 cup of the cranberries.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared. Use an offset spatula to spread the batter evenly. Top with the remaining 1/2 cup of cranberries and the almonds.
- Bake 35-45 minutes until cake is golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool at least 30 minutes before serving.
SERVING THE CAKE
This Cranberry Almond Ricotta Cake is surprisingly versatile. It’s simple and rustic which means it does not require much time or effort. I love this cake for:
- Breakfast: I mean….there’s a cup and a half of ricotta cheese in it which gives it a little protein and it’s not overly sweet!
- A snack: I admit, a slice of birthday cake for a snack could be seen as overdoing it. This cake though….perfectly acceptable as a snack in my opinion.
- Dessert: Rustic to me means two things- simple and chic. This cake is both. It may seem understated due to its simplicity, but it’s different and simple enough to be attention grabbing! To make it a bit sweeter and indulgent, serve it with ice cream or homemade whipped cream!
If rustic and delicious is your thing, you are going to love this Cranberry Almond Ricotta Cake. Perfectly festive, sweet and pretty and couldn’t be easier to make! Enjoy it for breakfast, dessert….or to have on hand for a mid day snack!Print
Favorite simple cake for the holidays: Cranberry Almond Ricotta Cake. This cake gets it’s moist, rich texture from ricotta and is flavored with almond and vanilla extracts. Studded with juicy cranberries and topped with sliced almonds coated in butte and brown sugar. This cake is rustic, effortless and delicious!
FOR THE CRANBERRY ALMOND RICOTTA CAKE
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 brown sugar, light or dark, packed
- 1 1/2 cups ricotta cheese
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups cranberries, fresh or frozen, divided
FOR THE TOPPING
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, light or dark
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
FOR THE CRANBERRY ALMOND RICOTTA CAKE
- Butter then line with parchment paper the bottom of a 9″ springform pan or the bottom of a round 9″ cake pan. Sprinkle with powdered sugar then tap out any excess. Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and sugar. Add the almonds and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring, until the almonds are well coated. Set aside.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, whisk to combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter, sugars, and ricotta for 4-5 minutes on medium speed, until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla and almond extract. With the mixer on low, add the eggs one at a time. Fold the dry ingredients in with a spatula followed by 1 of the cranberries.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared. Use an offset spatula to spread the batter evenly. Top with the remaining 1/2 cup of cranberries followed by the almonds.
- Bake 35-45 minutes until cake is golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the cake. Cool at least 30 minutes before serving.
Keywords: cake, ricotta, almonds, cranberries, cranberry