This flourless chocolate olive oil cake is so elegant and decadent, you won’t believe how easy it is! Filled with cocoa powder, melted chocolate and chocolate chips, it’s got a rich, fudgy center and a perfect crispy yet tender crust! Leaving out the flour makes it naturally gluten free. So easy to make and perfect for any occasion.
INGREDIENTS FOR THIS FLOURLESS CHOCOLATE CAKE RECIPE
I’ll start by what’s not in it: flour. I know…flourless cake sounds a little weird, but it is soooo good!
As far as what’s in it, it’s a simple list of ingredients that most people probably have on hand. You can make mini substitutions with what you have on hand.
ABOUT THE INGREDIENTS:
- Olive oil: I use extra virgin olive oil. Melted butter can be substituted for the olive oil.
- Chocolate: I recommend dark chocolate but bittersweet or semisweet also work.
- Eggs: Use 4 large.
- Sugar: I found that 3/4 cup is the perfect, just right amount.
- Cocoa Powder: Use 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder.
- Vanilla: 2 1/2 teaspoons which surprisingly brings out the chocolate flavor.
- Espresso powder: This is the ingredient that you might not have on hand. It also works to bring out the chocolate flavor. It can usually be found in the baking aisle of most grocery stores. You can definitely leave it out if you don’t have it. In that case, I’d suggest bumping the amount of vanilla up to a tablespoon.
- Chocolate chips Semisweet, bittersweet, dark or milk chocolate chips all work.
- Salt: Salt also enhances the chocolatey flavor and rounds out some of the sweetness.
HOW TO MAKE THIS CHOCOLATE CAKE
Start by melting the chocolate and olive oil in a medium bowl in the microwave. I like to first chop the chocolate since chopping it will help it melt faster. Melt the chocolate and olive oil in the microwave in about two twenty second intervals. Stir it really well after each interval. The chocolate will melt more as you stir it.
You want to keep the chocolate nice and shiny so make sure not to heat it more than necessary in the microwave. Once the chocolate is melted, stir in the olive oil and set mixture aside.
Next, you’ll add most of the other ingredients to a large bowl. Stir or whisk together the sugar, salt, espresso powder, cocoa powder and vanilla.
THE REST OF THE INGREDIENTS
Pour in the melted chocolate and olive oil mixture then stir in the eggs one at a time. Stir in the chocolate chips. That’s it. So easy!
I like to use a springform pan because it makes it so much easier to take the cake out when serving it, but a regular round cake pan works too. Make sure to grease then line the pan with parchment paper to prevent it from sticking. The cake will take 25-30 minutes at 350 F.
ENJOYING THE CAKE
I love and can’t resist this cake warm, but it can also be eaten warm, at room temperature or cold.
To get nice, clean slices run a large, sharp knife under hot water or dunk it in a glass of hot water and wipe it dry. Make sure to wipe the knife clean in between slices and dip the knife in hot water in between each cut. It adds a little time, but it gives you some nice, sleek slices!
WHAT TO SERVE WITH YOUR CAKE
Since there is chopped chocolate, cocoa powder and chocolate chips in this flourless espresso cake, I like to top it off with a dollop of chocolate whipped cream, of course! It only takes four ingredients and five minutes to make. You can also make the whipped cream without the cocoa.
MORE TOPPING SUGGESTIONS
- GANACHE: Rich, chocolatey ganache is the perfect sauce to drizzle or pour over the cake! Here’s the easy two ingredient ganache recipe I use for my Boston Cream Pie Cupcakes.
- ICE CREAM: A scoop of vanilla, chocolate, or coffee ice cream is AMAZING!
- POWDERED SUGAR: A simple dusting of powdered sugar makes the cake extra pretty and adds a touch more sweetness!
- CARAMEL: My chocolate caramel recipe comes to mind first, but this maple caramel would be delicious too!
This flourless chocolate olive oil cake is my new favorite chocolate cake! I love it because it has the fudgy, gooey texture of brownies, a lovely crust and is super easy to make! Perfect for when the chocolate urge strikes or for having friends over.Print
This easy flourless chocolate olive oil cake makes the best fudgy, rich treat! Gluten free and perfect for weekdays or company.
FOR THE CAKE
- 6 ounces dark, semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil or melted unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon espresso powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
FOR THE CHOCOLATE WHIPPED CREAM
- 1 cup cold heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon natural cocoa
FOR THE CAKE
- Butter then line with parchment paper the bottom of a 9″ springform pan or the bottom of a round 9″ cake pan. Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Melt the olive oil and chopped chocolate together in the microwave in two 20 second intervals. Stir very well in between intervals. Set aside and let cool for a few minutes while you assemble the rest of the ingredients.
- In a large bowl, stir together the sugar, salt, espresso, cocoa and vanilla. Pour in the melted chocolate and butter mixture. Stir in the eggs and mix until just combined. Stir in the chocolate chips and pour mixture into prepared pan. Spread evenly and bake for 25-30 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
FOR THE CHOCOLATE WHIPPED CREAM
- For best results, chill the bowl and beaters or whisk attachment in the fridge or freezer for 15- 20 minutes before using. In the bowl of an electric mixer or using a hand held mixer, beat the whipping cream on high speed for 2 minutes. Turn the mixer to low and pour the powdered sugar and cocoa in followed by the vanilla. Turn the mixer back up to high and continue mixing until you have medium to stiff peaks, about 3 more minutes.
Keywords: cake, espresso, chocolate, flourless, dessert, gluten free