This Baileys hot chocolate is rich, creamy and super decadent! It’s made with real chocolate and Baileys Irish cream and only takes minutes to make. This boozy drink is fun, decadent and perfect for the holidays!
This indulgent drink is next level hot chocolate. It’s super chocolatey and rich and spiked with the perfect amount of Baileys Irish Cream! It’s special enough for the holidays yet easy enough for anytime of the year.
I love Baileys in my coffee and other hot drinks with Baileys. I have always wanted to know how to make hot chocolate with Baileys. Turns out it’s super easy! All you need is a few minutes and a few ingredients.
Why We Love This Recipe
- You only need 7 ingredients and a few minutes to make this Baileys hot chocolate recipe!
- The milk and chocolate base is creamy and rich. It’s a from scratch hot chocolate recipe is made with real chocolate.
- Baileys adds a little kick and makes this drink extra indulgent.
- There are lots of options for toppings. It’s equally delicious as is!
Here are some useful notes on the ingredients needed to make this hot chocolate toddy.
- Baileys Irish Cream- Baileys Irish cream is a creamy Irish liqueur. It is flavored with cream, cocoa, vanilla and Irish whiskey. It can be enjoyed straight or added to coffee or cocktails.
- Milk-I use whole milk because I often have it on hand. If you have some heavy cream or half and half, you can use it in place of some of the milk. It will make this hot chocolate even more creamy and delicious. Use 1 1/4 cups milk and 3/4 cup heavy cream or half and half.
- Granulated Sugar (Optional)– Add sugar a tablespoon at a time, to taste. You can also leave it out.
- Cocoa powder-Use unsweetened cocoa powder or Dutch processed. You can also dust a little cocoa powder on top before serving.
- Chocolate-I like to use semi-sweet chocolate. It’s not too sweet but not too bitter. Use good quality semi-sweet chocolate. Chop it finely, so it melts quickly.
- Vanilla extract-For flavor.
- Salt– Salt balances out the sweetness. It also enhances the flavor. It won’t make your hot chocolate salty.
See recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and measurements.
Substitutions and Variations
- Add a big marshmallow or two and a handful of mini marshmallows! Make sure your marshmallows are fresh!
- Use dairy free alternative in place of the milk. Some dairy free milks are sweet, so keep that in mind before adding sugar.
- Add a dollop or swirl of whipped cream on top! Homemade or store bought works.
- Sift some cocoa powder on top. Cocoa powder adds a little extra chocolate flavor and looks fancy.
- Sprinkle some chocolate shavings to the top. You can make these by grating some good chocolate with a vegetable peeler!
Step by Step Instructions
Here are the directions on how to make Baileys with hot chocolate.
Step 1: Add the milk (and heavy cream, if using) and cocoa powder to a saucepan over medium heat til the cocoa powder dissolves and the mixture is almost simmering.
Step 2: Take the pan off the heat. Stir in the chopped chocolate til melted completely.
Step 3: Add the vanilla extract, and salt. Return the pot to the stove and reheat til hot again. Taste and add sugar, if desired, according to taste. Add the Baileys Irish cream.
Step 4: Pour the hot chocolate into mugs immediately. Add toppings, if you like, and enjoy!
Hint: Pour hot chocolate into a pitcher to make it easier to pour into cups.
Tip #1: Chop the chocolate before you start the recipe. It helps to have the chocolate chopped when you are ready to add it to the hot milk mixture for this hot chocolate and Baileys recipe.
Tip 2: Chop the chocolate finely. Finely chopped chocolate will melt faster.
Tip #3: Use good quality chocolate.
Tip # 4: Use a combination of milk and cream. This will give you the richest hot chocolate.
Yes! Bailey’s is creamy and chocolatey on its own, so it’s really good in hot chocolate.
I like to put about two tablespoons of Bailey’s in each cup of hot chocolate. Feel free to add more or less, according to your taste.
Yes. Baileys should be refrigerated after opening.
More Recipes You’ll Love
Baileys Hot Chocolate
- ¼ cup Baileys Irish Cream
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder natural unsweetened or Dutch-processed
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate chopped
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- Add the milk and cocoa powder to a saucepan. Whisk mixture over medium heat til the cocoa powder dissolves and the mixture is almost simmering.
- Take the pan off the heat. Whisk in the chopped chocolate til melted completely. Add the vanilla extract, and salt. Return the pot to the stove and reheat til hot again. Add the Bailey's Irish cream then serve immediately.
- Top with marshmallows, whipped cream, chocolate shavings, or cocoa powder and enjoy!