These birthday cake cookies are easy, delicious and FUN! Chewy, rich, and buttery, they are the perfect treat to make in place of or in addition to a birthday cake. Use your favorite sprinkles and chocolate chips and let the party begin with this from scratch, pantry friendly recipe!
PERFECT COOKIES FOR A CELEBRATION
Whether you are celebrating a birthday or not, these birthday cake cookies are the perfect treat. They’re made from scratch and filled with lots of love, sprinkles and chocolate chips. These chewy, vanilla flavored cookies are colorful, delicious and FUN!
My friend made these to celebrate her sons/ birthdays during quarantine. Instead of handing out cake to friends and family driving by during a birthday parade, she handed out these birthday cake cookies!
WHAT ELSE CAN I MAKE WITH SPRINKLES?
For more sprinkle-filled recipes, I highly recommend these Birthday Cake Donuts. If you love pie, try adding sprinkles to your pie crust with these delicious Mini Strawberry Pies! This Birthday Cake Ice Cream is made with lots of rainbow sprinkles and sprinkle filled birthday cake crumbles!
MORE DELICIOUS COOKIE RECIPES
These chocolatey cookies are my favorite birthday cake cookies, BUT don’t ask me to pick a favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe! There are my Sour Cream Chocolate Chip Cookies which are incredibly soft thanks to the sour cream! For a homemade version of a cookie similar to Chips Ahoy, I love my Shortbread Cookies with Mini Chocolate Chips! My most recent favorite chocolate chip cookies are these Olive Oil Chocolate Chip Cookies!
WHAT DO I NEED TO MAKE THESE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES?
These cookies have a simple list of ingredients that you most likely already have on hand. You’ll need:
- Granulated sugar
- Light brown sugar: Dark brown sugar makes a good substitute. Brown sugar makes the cookies chewy and flavorful.
- Vanilla…Lots of vanilla equals lots of flavor in birthday cake cookies!
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
- Chocolate chips
HOW TO MAKE THESE COOKIES
- Start by combining your dry ingredients.
- Cream the room temperature butter and sugars in the bowl of an electric mixer until they’re creamy and combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl then add the eggs one at a time followed by the vanilla.
- Turn the mixer down to low and gradually pour in the dry ingredients followed by the sprinkles then the chocolate chips and mix until just combined.
- Use an ice cream scoop to form the dough balls. Place the cookie dough balls on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake until the edges start turning golden brown. The middles will still be soft, but the cookies will set more as they cool. Let them cool on the cookie sheet for about five minutes before transferring them to a rack to cool.
DO I HAVE TO CHILL THE COOKIE DOUGH
One of the many things I love about these cookies is that they are nice and thick. Part of the reason for that is that the dough is chilled before it’s baked. Chilling the dough prevents it from spreading too thinly while it bakes.
Chilling the dough also enhances the flavor and has many other benefits. Check out this article by King Arthur Flour for more info on why it’s a good idea to chill cookie dough!
Chill the cookie dough for at least an hour. Before chilling the dough, you’ll want to pre-scoop it. If you wait to scoop it after chilling the dough, it’ll be way too hard to scoop.
When the cookies are ready to bake, just pull the dough off the tray for each batch. Leave the remaining dough balls in the fridge while the first batch bakes.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
You can use regular sized or mini chocolate chips. Dark, semi-sweet, or white chocolate chips are all delicious in these cookies!
Use rainbow, chocolate, or a combination of the two!
These cookies are so cute and happy looking with their sprinkles and mini chocolate chips, so I could not bring myself to cover them up with frosting! That said, they are delicious with a simple buttercream or even store bought frosting.
This recipe makes 18 giant cookies, but you can make them smaller if you like. You’ll just need to reduce the cooking time by a few minutes.
These cookies are monster sized which means they’re baked with about 1/4 cup of dough! I like to use a 2 oz cookie scoop or an ice cream scoop. It makes the dough balls all the same size and makes measuring the dough out a lot easier.
These Birthday Cake Cookies are the perfect cookie to make for a birthday. You’ll love how soft, chewy, thick and flavorful they are! Make them in place of or in addition to a birthday cake or just anytime you need a smile!Print
These Birthday Cake Cookies filled with sprinkles and chocolate chips are super fun and easy to make! They are also buttery, chewy and delicious!
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar, light or dark
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sprinkles of your choice
- 3/4 cups mini chocolate chips (or regular sized semi sweet, white, or dark chocolate chips)
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt Set aside.
- Cream the sugar and butter in the bowl of an electric mixer with the paddle attachment or with a handheld mixer on medium speed until smooth and combined.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl then add the eggs and blend well then add the vanilla.
- With the mixer on low speed, gradually add the dry ingredients followed by the sprinkles then the chocolate chips.
- Use a 2 ounce cookie scoop to drop the cookies onto the cookie sheet. Place them 3″ apart. Cover the cookie dough balls with plastic wrap and chill for at least an hour
- After chilling the dough for at least an hour, preheat oven to 375 F. Keep remaining balls in fridge while the first batch bakes.
- Bake 11-13 minutes until edges have started to turn light brown. Let cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before then transferring them to a rack to cool completely.
Keywords: Cookies, birthday cake cookies, sprinkles