Sweet vanilla cream slathered between the two layers of yellow cake and topped with a layer of rich chocolate ganache. That is what comes to mind when I think of Boston Cream Pie. What can be better than Boston Cream Pie except for, well, maybe this recipe for Boston Cream Pie cupcakes?!
Boston Cream Pie is one of my favorite desserts. I don’t eat it as often as I’d like because I feel like I need some sort of a special occasion to make a cake. It is a few layers of decadence after all. I started thinking about cupcakes since one of the things I love about cupcakes is that they allow us to have a treat basically anytime and anywhere. There’s no special occasion or cake cutting necessary!
These cupcakes are as delicious as the original cake and are like holding a mini Boston Cream Pie in your hand! I hope this recipe will make it possible for everyone to enjoy that Boston Cream Pie taste more often!
Making these Boston Cream Pie cupcakes does require a few extra steps compared to making other cupcakes. These steps aren’t difficult or super time consuming. When you see how impressive they turn out, you’ll see that the steps were worth it!
After making the batter, you’ll whip up some vanilla cream and a simple chocolate ganache. When the cupcakes have cooled, you slice them in half, add your vanilla cream and put the tops back on! I love seeing that thick layer of delicious vanilla pudding and love that the vanilla cream acts like glue!
Another way of making Boston cream upcakes is to put your vanilla cream in a piping bag to stuff the cupcakes. I prefer slicing mine in half so that they have that visible layer of vanilla cream and resemble the real Boston Cream Pie. Whichever way you fill them, they’re delicious!
Because of its French name, you might think a ganache is hard to make. It’s not! It’s basically just cream and chocolate mixed together and couldn’t be easier.
You’ll want to make it when you’re ready to use it so that it’s still slightly warm and pourable/spreadable. I like to pour a couple of teaspoons over these cupcakes and let it fall and spread out on the top by itself. Ganache will look good however it ends up spreading across the tops of your cupcakes!
These Boston Cream Pie Cupcakes will score major points with Boston Cream Pie lovers and will easily help the famous cake win some new fans as well. They’re fancy and special enough for birthday parties and other special occasions or just a really cool treat to make and enjoy at home.
FOR MORE DELICIOUS CHOCOLATE RECIPES, TRY MY:
- TRIPLE CHOCOLATE CRINKLE COOKIES
- BROWN BUTTER TOFFEE COOKIES WITH CHOPPED CHOCOLATE
- CHOCOLATE AND BUTTERSCOTCH COVERED PEANUT BUTTER BALLS
Orange Almond Dark Chocolate Cookies!Print
Boston Cream Pie Cupcakes
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 40 minutes
- Yield: 18-24 cupcakes
- Category: Cupcakes
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 T flour
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F and place paper liners in muffin tins.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar with a mixer for 3-4 minutes until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after the addition of each egg.
- Alternatively add the dry ingredient mixture and milk to the sugar mixture, mixing well after each addition and be sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Fill cupcake liners with 3-4 tbsp of the filling (about 2/3 full).
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of a cupcake. Cool for about ten minutes in the muffin tins and then remove to a rack to cool completely.
- Stir together sugar, flour, and a pinch of salt in a small saucepan.
- Over medium heat, slowly stir in the milk. Cook for about two minutes until mixture comes to a boil, whisking while cooking. Remove from heat.
- Beat the egg yolks in a small bowl and slowly temper the egg yolks by adding a small amount of the hot mixture into the yolks. Stir well.
- Pour the rest of the egg mixture into the milk mixture. Stir continuously while it cooks on low heat for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Allow to cool completely.
- Place the chocolate chips in a heatproof bowl. In a small saucepan on low heat, bring the heavy cream to a boil then pour over the chocolate chips. Do not stir.
- Allow to sit for 3 minutes then stir till smooth. Allow to cool slightly before using.
ASSEMBLING THE CUPCAKES
- Cut each cupcake in half horizontally and spread 1 tbsp of vanilla cream on the bottom of each cupcake. Place the tops back on the cupcakes.
- Spoon the glaze over the cupcakes and enjoy!
Keywords: Boston Cream Pie, Boston Cream Pie Cupcakes, Cupcakes, Vanilla Cream, Chocolate, Chocolate Ganache
[…] the mood for more chocolate? Head over to my recipe for Boston Cream Pie Cupcakes and […]