These soft, moist Butterscotch Cream Cheese Cupcakes are topped with a decadent baked-in top layer of butterscotch chips and cream cheese! They are easy to make and are a unique, delectable treat! Butterscotch and cream cheese make an unbelievable, must-try combo!
I love butterscotch and was recently thinking about how I could incorporate it into more recipes. Since butterscotch is on the sweet side, I wanted to add it to something creamy and rich to balance out that sweetness. That something turned out to be cream cheese!
To make these treats, you’ll first prepare the batter for the tender cupcake base. The cupcakes get their extra soft moist texture from the addition of brown sugar in the batter. Once your batter is all mixed together, you pour it into your muffin tins.
Next, you mix your easy three-ingredient topping together. Simply mix the softened cream cheese with an egg, stir in the butterscotch chips and spoon the mixture on top of the prepared batter. Pop them into the oven and the result is a BAKED-IN LAYER of cream cheese and butterscotch on top!
I tried a few different ways of combining the cupcakes and cream cheese mixture (stuffed, melted into icing), but this is definitely the stand out version! The flavors literally melt together and look and taste amazing!
You’ll love how both ingredients peek out on top of the cupcakes and hint at the sweetness and richness inside. No need to make any additional icing and toppings since you already have it baked right in! All you need to do is eat and (hopefully) share them!Print
These Butterscotch Cream Cheese Cupcakes are moist cupcakes made with a delicious baked in top layer of butterscotch chips and cream cheese!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ granulated sugar
- ½ cup light or dark brown sugar
- 2 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅔ cup butter, room temperature
- ⅔ cup milk
- 3 eggs, room temperature
CREAM CHEESE MIXTURE
- 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 egg, room temperature
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- Preheat oven to 350 F and line 2 muffin tins with cupcake paper.
- Whisk together the flour, salt, and baking powder and set aside
- In a large bowl, using a mixer, cream the butter, ½ cup granulated sugar and ½ cup brown sugar on medium speed until fluffy. Mix in the eggs.
- Alternatively add the milk and dry ingredients, mixing well after each addition. Set aside to prepare the cream cheese mixture.
CREAM CHEESE MIXTURE
- Using an electric mixer on medium speed, blend the cream cheese, egg, and ⅓ cup sugar for 2-3 minutes or until fluffy. Stir in butterscotch chips.
ASSEMBLING THE CUPCAKES
- Spoon the cupcake base into each muffin cup until about 1/2 full. Add a spoonful of the cream cheese mixture on top. Continue to fill all the muffin tins.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick, when inserted in the center of a cupcake, comes out clean.
- Allow cupcakes to cool in pan 10 minutes and then transfer them to a rack to cool completely.
Keywords: Butterscotch, Cream Cheese, Cupcakes, dessert, moist cupcakes,