This Fruity Fruity Pebbles cake couldn’t be more fun or delicious! It’s flavored with the lemon, orange and lime zest and fruity pebbles. This moist Fruity Pebbles cake is topped with fruit flavored cream cheese icing and fresh fruit!
This three layer cake is as baked with Fruity Pebbles in the batter. It is made with real fruit flavor. A tangy-sweet citrus zest cream cheese icing and some more crunchy Fruity Pebbles make the perfect finishing touch!
I had been wanting to make a funfetti cake with Fruity Pebbles for so long! This cake is as fun and delicious as I had imagined!
WHY YOU WILL LOVE THIS CAKE
- A fruit funfetti cake: Instead of sprinkles, this cake gets its funfetti look from colorful Fruity Pebbles cereal in the batter and frosting. It is flavored with fresh fruit and Fruity Pebbles!
- Citrusy cream cheese frosting: The cream cheese gives this frosting a fresh, tangy taste and citrus zest ties the fruity flavor of the cake together!
- Crunchy fruity pebble filling: Fruity pebbles add crunch and fun to the layers!
- A fruity birthday cake: this cake is perfect anytime of the year. It makes an awesome birthday cake too! It doesn’t get more festive or fun than a Fruity Pebbles birthday cake!
WHAT FRUIT FLAVORS ARE IN FRUITY PEBBLES?
Believe it or not, Fruity Pebbles don’t actually have fruit in them! They have a fruity flavor, but are artificially flavored. This cake, however is filled with real fruit flavor!
WHAT FRUIT IS IN THIS CAKE?
- Lemon, lime and orange zest: Both the cake batter and the cream cheese icing are flavored with flavorful citrus zest!
- Fresh blueberries: The cake is studded with fresh blueberries! They add pops of color and bursts of flavor!
- Fresh strawberries: Lightly pureed strawberries add little bits of real fruit to the cake! Those little bits look so good with the Fruity Pebbles in the cake!
There’s lots of fresh lemon, lime and orange zest in both the batter and the icing! The cake is also studded with blueberries and bits of fresh strawberries!
Below are some notes on some of the ingredients. Please see recipe card for full list of ingredients.
- Cake flour
- Baking powder: This will make our cake rise.
- Unsalted butter, room temperature
- Granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs: Take eggs out of the refrigerator 1-2 hours before baking.
- Vanilla extract
- Lemon zest
- Orange zest
- Lime zest
- Buttermilk: Use room temperature buttermilk.
- Strawberries: Pulse strawberries in a food processor or chop them with a knife.
- Blueberries (tossed in 1 tablespoon all purpose flour)
- Fruity Pebbles cereal
STEP ONE-Whisk to combine dry ingredients. Set aside.
STEP TWO-Cream the butter and sugar. Beat with a mixer til light and fluffy.
STEP THREE-Add eggs, zests, and vanilla. Beat eggs one at a time. Add the zests, strawberries, and vanilla extract.
STEP FOUR-Stir in half the dry ingredients with a spatula. Stir in the buttermilk. Stir in the remaining dry ingredients til just combined. Toss the blueberries in a tablespoon of flour and add them to the batter. Finally, stir in the Fruity Pebbles.
STEP FIVE-Pour batter evenly into greased 6-inch pans. Bake for 23-27 minutes. Remove from oven and place a cooling rack on top of each cake pan and invert. The cake should fall to the rack on its own.
STEP SIX- Allow cakes to cool and trim tops. Once cooled, trim the tops of the cakes to make sure you have even layers.
HOW TO PREPARE THE CAKE LAYERS
Bake the cakes and allow them to cool completely. Once cooled, trim the cakes so you have even layers.
Wrap cooled, trimmed cakes tightly with plastic wrap and place cakes in the fridge or freezer to chill them. Take them out when you’re ready to frost them. Frosting a frozen cake will keep crumbs from getting into the frosting.
INGREDIENTS FOR THE CITRUSY CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
Cream cheese icing makes the perfect sweet, yet fresh tasting frosting here!
- Unsalted butter
- Cream cheese: Use the block of cream cheese rather than a container of whipped cream cheese)
- Vanilla extract
- Powdered Sugar: Take the extra minute to sift powdered sugar before using to avoid any lumps in the frosting.
- Citrus zest: It brings out the fruity flavor of the cake and the Fruity Pebbles
HOW TO DECORATE THE CAKE
I have made this cake several times and decorated it a different way each time! I’ve added the Fruity Pebbles to the frosting before frosting my cake. I’ve also added the Fruity Pebbles to the already frosted cake.
I recommend frosting the top of each layer with 1/2 cup-3/4 cup of frosting. It’s pretty much a personal preference how thick you want your layers of frosting to be.
- Fruity Pebbles in the layers: For additional Fruity Pebble Crunch, you can add a layer of Fruity Pebbles on top of each layer of frosting.
- Naked Cake: Frost each layer but leave the sides frosting free.
- Semi Naked Cake: Frost the sides, but use a cake scraper to scrape off excess from the sides.
- Frosted Cake: Frost the sides of the cake with fruity pebbles mixed into the frosting. Alternatively, frost the cake and press or throw some Fruity Pebbles sideways at the frosting right after frosting it.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Since cakes don’t always come out of the oven in uniform shape, it’s a good idea to trim the tops. Use a long serrated knife and a turntable to slice off the tops of your cooled cakes. Ashlee Marie has a super helpful tutorial called How to evenly level your cake layers every time that I highly recommend watching!
Store this Fruity Fruity Pebble Cake in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to four days.
This Fruity Fruity Pebbles Cake is as colorful and cheerful as a funfetti cake, only way more flavorful! Three layers of moist cake studded with fresh fruit and Fruity Pebbles all topped with tangy sweet cream cheese frosting! Perfect for any occasion!Print
This Fruity Fruity Pebbles Cake is as colorful, cheerful and so flavorful! Three layers of moist cake studded with fresh fruit and Fruity Pebbles all topped with tangy sweet cream cheese frosting! Perfect for any occasion!
FOR THE CAKE
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup plus 3 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 3/4 teaspoons orange zest
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lime zest
- 1/2 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 1/3 cup strawberries, lightly pureed
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon fresh blueberries (tossed in 1 tablespoon all purpose flour)
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons Fruity Pebbles
FOR THE FRUITY CREAM CHEESE ICING
- 1/2 unsalted butter, room temperature
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 3/4 – 4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
FOR THE CAKE
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease 3 6″ straight edge cake pans. Line with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk to combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Wash and dry blueberries. Set aside. Wash and dry strawberries. Remove tops and cut into quarters. Pulse a few seconds until lightly chopped. Set aside.
- In a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or in a large bowl using a hand held mixer cream the butter and sugar til light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the lightly pureed strawberries and blend til combined. Add the vanilla extract and zests of lemon, lime and orange and mix til combined.
- Stir in half the dry ingredients with a spatula. Stir in the buttermilk. Stir in the remaining dry ingredients til just combined. Toss the blueberries with flour then gently stir into the batter. Stir in the Fruity Pebbles just til combined.
- Pour batter evenly into greased layer pans. Bake for 23-27 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of each cake. Remove from oven and place a cooling rack on top of each cake pan and invert. The cake should fall to the rack on its own.
- Allow cakes to cool at room temperature before trimming tops. Once cooled, use a cake leveler or a sharp bread knife to trim the tops of the cakes to make sure you have even layers. Wrap cake layers tightly in plastic wrap and chill in the fridge or freezer til ready to assemble.
- When ready to assemble, spoon 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup frosting on top of the first layer. Use an offset spatula to spread the frosting. Repeat with remaining layers. Frost sides as desired. Stir Fruity Pebbles into frosting or frost the cake and add Fruity Pebbles to the frosted cake. Top with more Fruity Pebbles and fresh fruit, if desired.
FOR THE CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and the cream cheese on medium until combined. Turn the mixer to low and add the powdered sugar, lemon zest, lime zest, orange zest, vanilla extract and salt. Beat 2-3 minutes or until light and fluffy. If the frosting is too thick, add up to a tablespoon more of milk until desired consistency. If it’s too thin, add more powdered sugar, a tablespoon at a time.
Keywords: fruity pebbles, cake, fruit, cereal, layer cake, cream cheese frosting, icing, lemon