Here’s a recipe that proves that you don’t need a long ingredient list or all afternoon to make something tasty and healthy. This Healthy Homemade Vegetable Soup uses some basic herbs, vegetables, and ingredients, most of which you may already have in your kitchen!
In addition to using a simple list of common ingredients, this soup couldn’t be easier to make. You chop and simmer potato, zucchini, carrot, onion, garlic, celery, tomato, parsley, cilantro with some broth and a bay leaf. Puree it and that’s it!
The flavors of the vegetables, broth and bay leaf are savory and delicious! I love this soup for lunch and dinner. Try it alongside a melt, sandwich or wrap!
The flavors in this Healthy Homemade Vegetable Soup definitely marry and get better with time so you’ll enjoy it just as much the second day. If you’re not planning on having it the next day, you can simply freeze the leftovers and defrost them when you want a homemade bowl of soup.
This soup can be made using vegetable, chicken or beef broth. I usually make mine with chicken broth, but I’m sure it’s delicious with vegetable and beef broth too. You can also swap out olive oil for butter if you want to add a bit of creaminess.
I love it as is, but there are lots of ways you can change it up or add to this soup. If you want some added protein and nutrition, go ahead and stir in a cup of cooked quinoa into the soup after it’s been pureed.
In addition to stirring in quinoa, here are are some of my toppings I like for this soup:
- a dollop of creme fraiche or cream cheese
- some Parmesan cheese
- chopped green onions
- shredded cheddar cheese
Easy Healthy Vegetable Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 potatoes chopped
- 2 zucchini chopped
- 1 carrot peeled and chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 clove of garlic chopped
- 2 branches of celery with leaves chopped
- 1 tomato chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley and cilantro chopped
- 4 cups of chicken broth can substitute vegetable or beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- Wash and chop all the vegetables. Add them to a large pot along with the olive oil, broth, and bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Once boiling, cover and reduce heat to medium low. Cook for about 30 minutes or until all the vegetables are cooked through. Adjust the seasoning. Using an immersion blender or a blender, puree the soup then serve!