The perfect for breakfast or snack: Lemon Ricotta Muffins! These flavorful muffins are hearty and even somewhat healthy thanks to ricotta cheese and olive oil. They’re perfectly spiced with cinnamon, nutmeg and cardamom and have added flavor from vanilla, lemon zest and lemon juice!
ABOUT THESE MUFFINS
I love that these Lemon Ricotta Muffins are made with both Ricotta cheese and olive oil. Both ingredients give them a heartier taste to them.
The warm spices make these such a cozy treat! Lemon juice and zest which gives them a lovely fresh flavor.
These Muffins Are:
- Perfectly Sweet: I tested a few times to get both the flavor and sweetness just right!
- Moist: The ricotta and olive oil make them a little healthier and more moist and filling than most muffins.
- Easy to Make: No mixer needed and the batter comes together in minutes!
- Flavorful: Who wouldn’t love a muffin made with warm cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg? Sweet vanilla, fresh lemon juice and lemon zest and topped with lemon zest also add so much flavor!
BAKING WITH RICOTTA
I love the flavor and texture ricotta adds. This is my second recipe with ricotta. My first recipe was this sweet, festive Cranberry Almond Ricotta Cake!
BAKING WITH OLIVE OIL
I’ve been super into baking with olive oil lately! You can’t really taste it here, but it makes these muffins rich and moist. Also, I love that it’s a healthier fat.
For another insanely good recipe with olive oil, make my Meyer Lemon Olive Oil Tart. Both the crust AND lemon curd are made with olive oil! I also very highly recommend my Lemon Rosemary Olive Oil Cake!
MORE MUFFIN RECIPES
These muffins are made with both Ricotta cheese and olive oil. Both ingredients give them a heartier taste to them. Also, the warm spices make these such a cozy treat!
I love that muffins are perfectly acceptable for both breakfast ad dessert! I recently made my Banana Muffins with Chocolate Chips for a treat the other night and had one the next day for dinner! I have lots more muffin recipes on my blog. Just type in the word muffins in the search bar!
HOW TO ENJOY THESE MUFFINS
This muffins are rustic and simple. I love them for breakfast or as a snack. Enjoy them fresh from the oven or at room temperature.
WHAT TO TOP THEM WITH
Before going into the oven, these muffins are topped with s simple mixture of lemon zest and turbinado sugar. This mixture adds a pleasant crunch, extra flavor and a touch more sweetness!
- JAM: Homemade or store bought!
- ICING: For more of a sweeter finish, I love a drizzle of the Lemon Icing from my Lemon Sour Cream Cookies.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
No. You can substitute the olive oil for melted butter if you like.
I recommend extra virgin olive oil.
Yes! Gently fold in fresh or frozen unthawed blueberries into the batter just before pouring it into the muffin tins.
My preferred way is to use an ice cream scoop. It helps ensure the muffins are the same size. It also helps to avoid spilling.
Lemon Ricotta Muffins are some of the heartiest, most delicious muffins I’ve ever had! Warm spices and vanilla give them a cozy taste while lemon adds lots of freshness. Like me, I’m sure you’ll love them for both breakfast and a snack!Print
These Lemon Ricotta Muffins are made with warm spices, ricotta cheese, and olive oil. They’re delicious, perfectly sweet and have a moist, fluffy texture. Perfect for breakfast, brunch, or for snacking.
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoons cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup vegetable or olive oil
- 1 3/4 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon zest
FOR THE TOPPING
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 1/2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners. In a small bowl, prepare the topping by stirring together the lemon zest and turbinado sugar. If needed, use your fingers to rub the lemon zest into the turbinado sugar.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg and salt. Stir together until just combined. Set bowl aside.
- To a medium sized bowl, add the oil, vanilla, eggs, sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice. Whisk to combine. Whisk in the eggs one at a time. Add the ricotta and whisk until creamy and combined.
- Pour the ricotta mixture into the dry ingredients and stir with a spatula or wooden spoon until fully combined but being careful not to overmix.
- Use an ice cream scoop to evenly distribute the batter into the prepared cupcake tin. Top with the lemon zest and turbinado sugar. Bake 18-21 minutes or until a toothpick comes out without wet crumbs when inserted in the middle of a muffin.
- Let cool in tin for 5-1o minutes then transfer muffins to a wire rack to cool completely.
Keywords: ricotta, muffins, breakfast, ricotta cheese, lemon, lemon zest, cinnamon, cardamom