This homemade Nutter Butter Bars recipe features a Nutter Butter cookie crust, a layer of Nutella and a simple but delicious peanut butter cheesecake topping!
I got the idea for these Nutter Butter cookie bars one day while enjoying a Nutter Butter. They are such delicious, nostalgic cookies. I knew I had to use them in a recipe!
These rich and indulgent Nutter Butter Bars have a delicious Nutter Butter crust, Nutella filling and peanut butter cheesecake! Top them with extra Nutter Butters and you have a treat that everyone will love!
Why you’ll love these Nutter Butter Bars:
- Nutter Butter cookie crust: This crust is buttery, peanut buttery and delicious!
- Nutella layer: Nutella is spread over the Nutter Butter crust. It basically turns these into Nutter Butter chocolate bars!
- Peanut butter cheesecake: The peanut butter cheesecake is smooth, luscious and insanely good!
- Topped with Nutter Butters: The Nutter Butters on top make these bars impossible to resist!
- Fun: These bars are so fun to make and eat!
- Easy: You won’t believe how simple they are to make.
Below is some useful information about some of the Nutter Butter bars ingredients. See the recipe card for the full list of ingredients and their mesaurements.
- Nutter Butter cookies: You’ll need about 2 1/2 cups of cookie crumbs for the crust, an optional 1/2 cup of broken up and added to the middle layer, and about 9 cookies for the decoration on top. I use almost a whole family pack size of Nutter Butters for my bars.
- Peanut butter: This recipe uses standard creamy peanut butter such as Skippy or JIF. I wouldn’t recommend baking with natural peanut butter or crunchy peanut butter.
- Cinnamon: Cinnamon adds additional flavor to the crust!
- An egg: Use one large, room temperature egg.
- Nutella: This insanely good chocolate hazelnut spread makes the perfect middle layer!
- Vanilla extract: I always recommend using pure vanilla extract for the best flavor.
- Cream cheese: Full-fat, room temperature cream cheese. Using room temperature cream cheese will give you a nice, smooth cheesecake layer!
Step by step instructions for these peanut butter Nutter Butter bars
- Pulse the Nutter Butters in a food processor until a fine crumb forms. Add the melted butter, peanut butter, sugar, cinnamon and salt and pulse until mixture comes together.. Spread the mixture in a parchment paper lined pan and bake for 9-11 minutes. Place the pan on a rack to cool while you prepare the peanut butter cheesecake.
- Using a stand or hand held mixer, cream the cream cheese, peanut butter, salt, and sugar until smooth. Add the egg and vanilla extract.
- Spread the Nutella over the crust. Top the Nutella with 1/2 cup of broken up Nutter Butter cookies. This step is optional.
- Spread the cheesecake evenly over the Nutella. Top with Nutter Butter Cookies and bake 25-30 minutes. Place on a rack to cool completely then place in the fridge to chill for at least 2 hours or overnight. Slice into your preferred size and enjoy!
Yes! I like using an 8X8 inch pan because they are a little thicker, but 9X9 works fine.
Yes. They can be made 2-3 days ahead of time!
- Crust: You can also use Oreos, Golden Oreos, or graham crackers.
- Nutella- You can also use homemade or store bought jam. I wouldn’t recommend jelly or preserves, but any flavor jam would be delicious as the middle layer.
Use room temperature cream cheese. This helps you get a nice, smooth peanut butter cheesecake layer. I take my cream cheese out of the fridge about 4 hours before I use it.
Don’t skip the chill time. Chilling will allow the cheesecake layer to set.
Run a knife along the sides that are in contact with the pan before using the parchment paper to lift the the bars out. This will help prevent the bars from tearing or sticking to the pan when you try to take them out.
How to store these bars
Store these bars in an air tight tupperware container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Nothing not to love about these delicious Nutter Butter Bars. You’ll love their thick peanut buttery crust, decadent Nutella layer and rich peanut butter cheesecake topping!
Nutter Butter Bars
FOR THE NUTTER BUTTER CRUST
- 2 1/2 cups Nutter Butter cookie crumbs about 280 grams
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter melted
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
FOR THE NUTELLA LAYER
- 1 cup Nutella*
FOR THE PEANUT BUTTER CHEESECAKE TOPPING
- 8 ounces full fat cream cheese room temperature
- 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 1/2 cup Nutter Butter cookies broken up then measured (optional)
- Extra Nutter Butter Cookies for the topping (I used 9 of them)
- Preheat oven to 350 Fahrenheit. Line two sides of an 8 or 9 inch square pan with parchment paper leaving a two inch overhang on two sides. Pulse the Nutter Butters in a food processor until a fine crumb forms. Pulse in the sugar, cinnamon and salt til incorporated. Add the melted butter and peanut butter and pulse until mixture comes together (it should feel like wet sand).
- Use your hands to spread the mixture evenly on the bottom of the pan.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes, until crust is set and has lightened in color. Set on a cooling rack while you prepare the peanut butter cheesecake.
FOR THE PEANUT BUTTER CHEESECAKE TOPPING
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment or in a large bowl using a hand held mixer, cream the cream cheese, peanut butter, salt, and sugar until smooth. Add the egg and vanilla extract.
ASSEMBLING THESE BARS
- Once the crust has cooled slightly or completely, use an offset spatula to spread the Nutella over the crust. Top the Nutella with 1/2 cup of broken up Nutter Butter cookies. This step is optional.
- Next, scoop the peanut butter cheesecake mixture over the Nutella layer (drop it in dollops or use an ice cream scoop to drop scoops evenly over the batter. Use an offset spatula to spread the cheesecake evenly. Top with Nutter Butter Cookies, if desired.
- Bake 25-30 minutes. Place on a rack to cool completely then place in the fridge to chill for at least 2 hours or overnight. Slice and enjoy! Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.