Who loves orange with chocolate?! I know I do! These Orange Chocolate Chunk Cookies get their flavor from orange zest and juice and large dark chocolate chunks. The bites of dark chocolate and zesty orange flavor in these soft, puffy cookies is heavenly.
TASTE AND TEXTURE
I love purely chocolaty desserts, but sometimes want something a little lighter and fresher tasting. The orange offers a contrast that brings out even more of the chocolate flavor.
Another thing you’ll notice when you make/eat these is that they are nice and soft. Instead of a cup of granulated sugar, these cookies have a full cup of brown sugar. The brown sugar makes the cookies soft and moist and adds additional flavor.
ZEST AND CHOCOLATE
I suggest using one or two tablespoons of orange zest. I like a stronger orange taste, so I prefer two tablespoons. If you’re going for more of a hint of orange, one tablespoon of zest is perfect. Whether you go for one or two tablespoons, one orange will give you enough zest to make these cookies.
Chocolate chunks can be bought or made by chopping up chocolate at home. I like them because they are slightly bigger than chocolate chips. A little aesthetic tip: if you want to make sure the chocolate is visible when they’re cooked, stick a few extra chunks into your cookies after forming them. This will make sure you can see the chocolate in every cookie!
Chocolate chip cookie lovers: if you want to add a little zest to your cookie repertoire, you need to make these cookies. You’ll find they have a fun, tasty variation to traditional chocolate chip cookies.
For another tasty orange-chocolate flavored cookie, try my Orange Almond Dark Chocolate Cookies!Print
Fresh bright orange flavor combines with rich dark chocolate chunks in this recipe for these delicious, soft Orange Chocolate Chunk Cookies!
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1–2 tbsp orange zest
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup chocolate chunks, dark or semi-sweet
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Cream together the sugar and butter. Add the eggs one at a time while blending. Mix in the orange peel.
- Add the dry ingredients alternately with the orange juice and blend until combined. Stir in the chocolate chunks.
- Drop by rounded tablespoon 2 inches apart on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and cool on racks. Makes about 3 dozen.
Use 2 tbsp orange zest for a stronger orange taste.
Keywords: cookies, chocolate chunk, orange zest, chocolate cookies