These upside down blackberry cupcakes are as tasty as they are adorable. The recipe also happens to be super easy! Toss some blackberries in a cupcake tin, top them with an easy cake mix and you have the cutest upside down cupcakes in about a half hour!
This is my second recipe with blackberries this winter. I love the beautiful color they bake into and the burst of fresh flavor and sweetness they add. I’m sorry to my husband for using most of the blackberries again but not too sorry because I turned them into these cupcakes!
These upside down blackberry cupcakes are super rustic looking and easy to make. No need to make them look perfect or exact. They look and taste great however they turn out!
PREPARING THE CUPCAKE TINS
- Start by generously buttering your cupcake tins. I like to use the wrapper the butter came in to butter my tin. There’s always butter still on it and it’s a good way to use it up.
- Since we’re making upside down cupcakes, we’ll add the berries to the bottoms of our tins. Make sure your berries are evenly distributed among the cupcake cups.
HOW TO MAKE BLACKBERRY CUPCAKES
- Start by whisking or sifting the flour, baking powder and salt. Set that aside then beat your butter, sugar and vanilla with an electric mixer on medium speed. Beat for 1-2 minutes until the mixture is light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides.
- Add the dry ingredients alternatively with the milk on low speed. Scrape down the sides as you go to make sure that all the ingredients are well incorporated.
- Pour the mixture evenly over the blackberries in the prepared cupcake tins. You should have enough batter to be able to fill each cup to the top.
- Bake until the edges are lightly golden and a toothpick when stuck in the middle of a cupcake comes out with only a few crumbs.
5. Let the cupcakes cool for a few minutes in the tins before inverting them and letting them cool completely on a wire rack. Run a knife around the edges of each cup to loosen any parts that may be stuck to the sides.
6.To invert the cupcakes, just put a wire rack on top of your tin. Quickly and confidently flip the tin and rack over so that your tin is now on top of your rack. Some cupcakes will drop on their own, others may need a few seconds and gravity to help them drop.
I hope you enjoy making and eating these cute upside down blackberry cupcakes! They’re so easy and worth making. I originally thought of them as dessert, but since they look a bit like muffins and have fruit in them, they would be an awesome addition to breakfast or brunch as well!Print
Make these blackberry cupcake for delicious, rustic treats! It’s an easy recipe featuring fresh blackberries baked into delicious white cupcake batter!
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, plus a little extra for greasing the tins, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- About 15 ounces blackberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Generously grease cupcake tins with butter. Add the blackberries to the bottoms of the tins, dividing them evenly (about 3 per muffin tin). Set aside. Sift dry ingredients together and set aside.
- In a large bowl or the bowl of an electric stand mixer using the paddle attachment, cream the butter, sugar and vanilla for 1-2 minutes until the mixture is light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the dry ingredients to the butter/sugar mixture alternatively with the milk. Scrape down the sides as you go and beat until well mixed. Use a spoon or an ice cream scoop to pour batter evenly over the blackberries in the tin. Fill cups completely with the batter.
- Bake 15-17 minutes or until a toothpick when inserted into the middle of a cupcake comes out with dry crumbs.
- Allow to cool in the muffin tin for about five minutes and then remove to wire racks to cool completely. Top with powdered sugar or whipped cream or enjoy as is!
Keywords: blackberries, fruit, cupcakes, white cake