This white forest cake is a layered moist vanilla cake. It is filled with cherry sauce and chocolate whipped cream. It’s topped with creamy homemade whipped cream and fresh cherries.
This homemade white forest cake is the best way to enjoy cherry season! The base is my fluffy vanilla cake.
It’s layered with cherry sauce, chocolate and whipped cream and fresh cherries. The cake is topped with more homemade whipped cream, chocolate shavings and more fresh cherries.
This cake is a play off of the classic black forest cake. Black forest cakes are made with chocolate cake and whipped cream. This cake is made with vanilla cake and chocolate whipped cream!
WHY THIS RECIPE WORKS
- Vanilla cake– These delicious vanilla cake layers have a tender crumb.
- Homemade whipped cream-This cake is topped with homemade whipped cream and homemade chocolate whipped cream! It is perfectly sweet, fluffy, refreshing!
- Fresh cherries and cherry sauce- The filling consists of a simple cherry sauce and the cake is topped with fresh cherries
- Perfect for summer- There’s nothing like fresh cherries in the summer! This cake is perfect for any summer event!
Below are some notes about some of the ingredients for this cake. See recipe card below for full list of ingredients.
- Butter- Use unsalted, room temperature butter.
- Eggs- Use large, room temperature eggs. Take eggs out of the refrigerator 2 hours before making the cake.
- Sour cream-Use full fat, room temperature sour cream.
- Cherries-Use fresh cherries.
- Cherry liquor: Cherry liquor (sold as kirsch) is cherry liquor made from morello cherries. It’s traditionally added to black forest cake. It is optional in this cake. If using, add a little splash to the melted jam.
- Powdered Sugar- I recommend sifting the powdered sugar. This will prevent lumps in your whipped cream.
This recipe includes an easy from scratch cherry sauce. Here are some easy substitutions for making your own cherry sauce:
- Cherry jam
- Cherry preserves
- Store bought cherry pie filling
- Canned cherries
- Halved fresh cherries
Most of the chocolate whipped cream is used to layer the cake, but you should have some to pipe on top of the white chocolate mousse.
This cake can be made using 3 6 inch cake pans or 2 8 inch cake pans. I prefer 8 inch cake pans since we are layering the cake with whipped cream. I find a two layer, whipped cream filled cake is easier to cut.
You can make the layer cakes the day or evening before assembling the cake or just make everything the same day.
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS
Step one: Prepare the cake pans. This cake can be made in 3 6 inch straight edge cake pans or 2 8 inch cake pans. Grease or spray pans with baking spray. Line bottoms with parchment paper. Grease parchment lightly. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Step two: Combine dry ingredients. Whisk to combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
Step three: Cream the butter, sugar and oil. Use a mixer to cream the butter, sugar til light and fluffy. Pour in the oil and mix for an additional minute.
Step four: Mix in the eggs, sour cream and vanilla. Mix in the eggs one at a time. Turn the mixer to low and mix in the sour cream and vanilla extract.
Step five: Add the dry ingredients and the milk. Mix in half the dry ingredients. Turn the mixer to low and mix in the milk. in the remaining dry ingredients til just combined.
Step six: Bake. Pour batter evenly into the pans. Bake for 22-26 minutes. Remove cake layers from pans and allow to cool.
Step seven: Make the cherry sauce. Stir together the sugar and cornstarch in a small saucepan. Add the cherries and turn heat to medium low. Stir while cooking for 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in the vanilla extract and cinnamon. If using cherry liquor, omit the vanilla and cinnamon and add the Kirsh. Cool completely.
Step eight: Make the chocolate whipped cream. Sift together the powdered sugar and cocoa powder then whip all the ingredients in a large bowl until stiff peaks form.
Step nine: Prepare the whipped cream. Add the heavy cream, powdered sugar, vanilla extract to a large mixing bowl. Beat on low for 40 seconds. Increase speed to medium and beat another minute or until you reach stiff peaks. Top the cake with whipped cream or serve alongside the cake.
Step ten: Assemble the cake. Decorate with cherries and chocolate shavings, if desired! Enjoy!
This cake filling is whipped cream and is best to enjoy this cake the day it’s made. It can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two days.
To make perfect layers, you need nonstick cake pans. You’ll want to use layer cake pans because the sides are perfectly straight. I use three of these 6×2 inch Fat Daddio’s* layer cake pans for perfect layers.
This recipe makes three 6 inch cake layers. If you don’t have 6 inch cake pans or want to make a different size, the batter should be enough to make two 8 or 9 inch round cake layers, one 9 by 13 inch sheet cake, or 24 cupcakes. You may need to adjust the cooking time depending on the size you go with.
This cake filling is whipped cream. It’s best enjoyed the same day. It can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two days.
This truly is the best White Forest Cake! It’s layered and topped with cherry sauce, homemade whipped cream and fresh cherries! Best enjoyed with fresh cherries during cherry season but delicious year round!
OTHER RECIPES TO TRY
White Forest Cake
FOR THE VANILLA CAKE
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sour cream room temperature
- 1/4 cup whole milk room temperature
FOR THE CHOCOLATE WHIPPED CREAM
- 1 1/3 cups heavy whipping cream cold
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
FOR THE CHERRY FILLING
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 cups fresh cherries pitted and halved
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1-3 tablespoons cherry liquor Kirsh, optional*
FOR THE WHIPPED CREAM
- 6 1/2 ounces heavy cream cold
- 1 1/2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Extra cherries
- Chocolate shavings use any type of chocolate for this, example: white, dark, milk or a combination!
FOR THE CAKE
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease 2 8" straight edge cake pans OR 3 6″ straight edge cake pans. Line with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk to combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or in a large bowl using a hand held mixer cream the butter, sugar til light and fluffy, 1-2 minutes. Add the oil and beat for an additional minute.
- With the mixer on medium speed, add the eggs one at a time. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Turn the mixer to low and mix in the sour cream and vanilla extract.
- Mix in half the dry ingredients. Turn the mixer to low and mix in the milk. in the remaining dry ingredients til just combined.
- Pour batter evenly into greased layer pans. Bake for 22-26 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of each cake. Remove from oven and place a cooling rack on top of each cake pan and invert. The cake should fall to the rack on its own.
- Allow cakes to cool at room temperature before trimming tops. Once cooled, use a cake leveler or a sharp bread knife to trim the tops of the cakes to make sure you have even layers.
FOR THE CHERRY FILLING
- In a small saucepan, stir to combine the sugar and cornstarch. Add the cherries and turn heat to medium low. Stir continuously for about 5 minutes until mixture thickens. Take off heat. Stir in the vanilla extract and cinnamon or the Kirsh if using.* Set aside to cool completely.
FOR THE CHOCOLATE WHIPPED CREAM
- For best results, place the bowl of your electric mixer in the fridge or freezer (space permitting) for 15 minutes. When ready to start, remove the bowl and sift the powdered sugar and cocoa powder together over the bowl. Add the vanilla extract and cold heavy cream to the bowl and beat until stiff peaks form.
FOR THE WHIPPED CREAM
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment or in a large bowl using a hand held mixer, add the heavy cream, powdered sugar, vanilla extract and salt. Beat on low for 40 seconds. Increase speed to medium and beat another minute or until you reach stiff peaks.
TO ASSEMBLE THE CAKE
- Place the first layer on the cake stand cut side up. Spread an even layer of chocolate whipped cream overtop. Arrange an even layer of cherry sauce on top. Add the next cake on top and look at it from all sides to make sure it is on evenly. If making a two layer cake, make sure the top layer is cut side down. Repeat the process with the chocolate whipped cream and cherry sauce. Top the cherry sauce with the whipped cream. Pipe more chocolate whipped cream on top, if desired. Decorate with extra cherries and chocolate shavings! Enjoy!
- Tightly wrap leftovers in an air tight container and store in the fridge for up to two days.