These hot chocolate cookies taste like a cup of hot cocoa in cookie form! They’re made with a simple list of ingredients with no chilling needed. They’re the perfect recipe for holiday cookie exchanges!
These delicious hot chocolate cookies are made with cocoa powder and mini marshmallows. They are the perfect cozy treat for winter and the holidays!
I wanted a cookie that was as delicious as a cup of hot cocoa. These cookies are hot chocolate in cookie form!
Why This Recipe Works
- These hot chocolate marshmallow cookies are perfect for winter and the holidays. For another cozy cookie recipe, try my pecan chocolate chip cookies.
- The cocoa powder and chocolate chips will satisfy all chocolate fans!
- Mini marshmallows make the cookies sweet and gooey just like these delicious ice cream cone smores.
- You probably have most of the ingredients already.
- They can be made in less than an hour. No chilling needed.
Below are notes about some of the ingredients for these hot cocoa cookies.
- Mini marshmallows: Mini marshmallows make these gooey and sweet. If you love mini marshmallows, try my cornflake chocolate chip marshmallow cookies!
- Brown sugar: Use either light or dark brown sugar. Brown sugar makes them soft and chewy! Make sure your brown sugar is fresh.
- Granulated sugar: Granulated sugar sweetens the cookies and also gives them structure.
- Cocoa powder: I recommend natural unsweetened cocoa powder. Be sure to try my chocolate rice pudding for another cozy chocolate dessert!
- Eggs: Use 2 large eggs. Take the eggs out of the refrigerator before starting the recipe so they are room temperature.
- Butter: I use unsalted butter. The butter should be room temperature.
- Chocolate chips: Use regular semi-sweet chocolate chips. For another double chocolate cookie recipe, make my peppermint chocolate crinkle cookies!
Please see recipe card below for full list of ingredients and their measurements.
Substitutions & Variations
- Chocolate chips: instead of chocolate chips, use mini chocolate chips. These hot chocolate cookies with mini marshmallows can also be made with chocolate chunks or chopped chocolate.
- Semi-sweet: in place of semi-sweet chocolate, try dark, milk or even white chocolate!
- Mini marshmallows: Regular sized marshmallows can be used in place of mini marshmallows. I recommend cutting them in half or in quarters. If you have extra marshmallows, try my smores brownies.
Here are the directions on how to make these easy hot cocoa cookies.
Step 1: (Photo one above) Whisk or sift to combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
Step 2: (Photo two above) Beat the butter and sugars with an electric mixer until creamy and pale.
Step 3: (Photo three above) Mix in the eggs one at a time til incorporated. Next, add the vanilla extract.
Step 4: (Photo four above)With the mixer on low speed, mix in the dry ingredients til just combined. Then stir in 3/4 cup of the chocolate chips
Step 5: (See photo 5 above).Use a 1-ounce cookie scoop.Drop the cookies 3″ apart on a baking sheet. Top with extra chocolate chips.
Step 6: (Photo 6 above) Bake at 350 F for 9 minutes. Remove from oven and stick 2-4 marshmallows on each cookie. Bake 1-2 more minutes.
Tip # 1: Use a spatula to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl while making the dough. This will help make sure the ingredients are well combined.
Tip #2: Line your baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat. This keeps the cookies from sticking to the baking sheet. It also helps the cookies bake evenly.
Tip #3: Add the marshmallows at the end. If you mix the marshmallows into the dough with the chocolate chips, they will dissolve. It’s best to add them as directed in the instructions.
No! Just make the dough and bake!
Unbaked cookie dough can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Store leftover hot chocolate chip cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 6 days.
More Recipes You’ll Love
Did you try this recipe or any other recipe on my website? Please leave a 🌟 star rating and 📝 comment below.
Hot Chocolate Cookies
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 11 tablespoons unsalted butter room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup dark brown sugar packed
- 2 ¼ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups chocolate chips semi-sweet or dark, divided
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 350 F and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk to combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer with the paddle attachment or with a handheld mixer on medium speed, cream the butter and sugars for 2-3 minutes, until creamy and pale. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula.
- Add the eggs one at a time with the mixer on medium speed. Add the vanilla extract.
- With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Using a spatula or wooden spoon, stir in 3/4 cup of the chocolate chips.
- Use a 1-ounce cookie scoop to drop the cookies onto the cookie sheet. Place them 3″ apart. Top each cookie with a 4-5 extra chocolate chips.
- Bake 9 minutes. Remove from oven and carefully stick 2-4 marshmallows on each cookie. Place sheet back in oven and bake another 1-2 minutes or until the center is just set. Let cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes before then transferring them to a rack to cool.
Please note that nutritional values are created by an online calculator and should only be used as an estimate.