Blueberry Blondies….because moist, golden blondies are always a good idea, especially with fresh lemon juice, zest, and a hint of cardamom. Studded with a generous cup of fresh, in season blueberries, these bars are finished with the easiest sweet-tart lemon icing. They’re gooey, buttery, so pretty and the perfect sweet treat for summer days!
When I think of gooey, buttery desserts, brownies such as my rich tahini brownies or s’mores brownies automatically come to mind. That said, I do love a good blondie! I don’t know if I’d go as far as this bold article from delish.com which argues why blondies are better than brownies (!) but I do agree that blondies are pretty great!
My favorite point the author makes is that blondies are almost always homemade which is something I never thought about. It’s so true though, you almost never see boxed blondie mixes!
I recently made my flavorful coconut butterscotch blondies and realized they were the only blondie recipe on my site. I decided it was time for a new blondie recipe and was excited to try them with blueberries!
BAKING WITH BLUEBERRIES
There’s something so warm and comforting about baking with blueberries. They’re juicy, delicious and just lovely to bite into! Whenever I bake with blueberries, I almost always include lemon. Both their flavors and colors are so bright, cheery, and summery that I always want to pair them together. My Lemon Blueberry Baked Donuts are so tender and flavorful and these Lemon Blueberry Muffins are as close to bakery style as I’ve come with any muffin so far!
Blondies are typically on the rich side and desserts with blueberries are usually lighter and fresher which lands these blueberry blondies somewhere in between. They’re super moist and buttery yet full of juicy, fresh flavor! The blueberries almost give these blondies a bit of a a coffee cake taste to them. Does that mean it’s okay to have blondies for breakfast?!
In addition to vanilla, these blondies are flavored with one of my favorite spices: cardamom. You can’t quite pinpoint cardamom’s flavor, but it adds to the warmth and can’t put it down flavor of these bars!
HOW TO MAKE BLUEBERRY LEMON BLONDIES?
The fact that these bars are super easy to throw together makes them perfect for summertime! They’re an easy, sweet treat that lets you keep things simple and leaves you tons of time to be outdoors.
To make them, start by combining melted butter and brown sugar. Whisk in an egg and some vanilla. Add the dry ingredients and blueberries and mix just til combined then pour it into your pan.
That’s it! Two bowls, well you could even skip the bowl for the dry ingredients and add everything directly to the wet mixture. Also, no mixer. It’s that easy. The batter seriously comes together in minutes, does not take much effort and leaves you with a minimal mess to clean up.
EASY LEMON ICING
I can attest to the fact that these blondies are delicious plain! That said, I loved the added sweetness of this easy lemon icing. It also brings out all the lemon flavor inside the bars!
To make the icing, you just stir together some powdered sugar, lemon juice and zest until smooth. No need to sift the powdered sugar since it’ll pretty much dissolve/melt with the lemon juice.
Use a spoon to just drizzle the icing over the cooled bars. If you prefer your icing on the thicker side and find that the spoon doesn’t drizzle the icing the way you’d like, try a sandwich bag. Just scoop or pour the icing into a little bag and snip a little corner. Use the bag to pipe/drizzle the icing over the bars.
Warm, tender, sweet and moist, these blueberry blondies are proof that fruit goes well with blondies. Make them when you’re craving something fruity, gooey and delicious!Print
These moist, gooey Blueberry Blondies are full of lemon flavor and bursting with fresh blueberries. Flavored with vanilla and cardamom and finished with a sweet-tart lemon icing!
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 cup blueberries
FOR THE LEMON ICING
- 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar, sifted, plus more if needed to thicken
- 1 1/4 tablespoons lemon juice
- zest of 1/2 lemon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line an 8 x 8 inch square pan with enough parchment paper to create an overhang of at least two inches on two sides.
- In a medium sized bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, cardamom and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the melted butter with the brown sugar until combined. Add the vanilla, lemon zest and the egg and whisk to combine. With a spatula, fold in the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Pour the batter into the baking pan and smooth the top with an offset spatula.
- Bake for 30-33 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean or with just a few crumbs when inserted in the center of the blondies. Place the pan on a wire rack and allow blondies to cool completely in the pan.
FOR THE LEMON ICING
- In a medium sized bowl, sift the powdered sugar. Add the lemon zest and juice and use a whisk or spoon to combine. Add additional powdered sugar as needed to thicken the icing.
Keywords: blueberries, blondies, fruit, bars, cardamom