These buttery Christmas Blondies are soft, chewy and delicious! They’re filled with red and green M&Ms, chocolate chips and other pantry friendly ingredients. This easy recipe is the perfect dessert for cookie exchanges and holiday parties.
You will love this Christmas blondies recipe. From start to finish, they take about a half hour. They are made without a mixer and they are gooey, chocolatey and delicious!
I wanted these M&M Christmas blondies to be festive, easy to make, and delicious. They are definitely all of the above.
WHY THIS RECIPE WORKS
- They are a no mixer recipe. You don’t need specialty tools or equipment to make these.
- These Christmas M&M blondies are super flavorful – everyone loves them!
- This from scratch recipe uses only 10 ingredients.
- The batter comes together in minutes. From start to finish, you just need a little over 30 minutes.
- You can make these blondies with red and green holiday M&Ms or regular M&Ms.
Below are some useful notes on some of the ingredients for these m and m blondies. For full list of ingredients and their measurements, see recipe card below.
- Unsalted butter- Melt butter in the microwave or on the stovetop.
- Brown sugar- I prefer light brown sugar. Make sure to use fresh brown sugar.
- 1 egg– Use a large, room temperature egg.
- Vanilla extract-For flavor.
- Red and Green M&Ms– Red and green M&Ms add pops of festive color. They are also super chocolatey! They are available in most stores or online during the Christmas season.
- Chocolate chips-Use semi-sweet chocolate chips.
- Cream cheese chips-I just discovered these recently and I love them. They add a little touch of sweet, creamy cream cheese flavor. They should be in the baking aisle if your grocery store carries them.
SUBSTITUTIONS AND VARIATIONS
Brown sugar- Instead of light brown sugar, dark, or a combination of the two. Dark brown sugar will make these blondies sweeter and will give them more of a moist texture.
Semi-sweet chocolate- Instead of semi-sweet chocolate chips, you can use white, dark or milk chocolate chips. You could even use a combination of them.
Chocolate chips-Instead of chocolate chips, you can chop a chocolate bar into ½ inch pieces.
Cream cheese chips-Unfortunately I don’t know of a substitute for the flavor of cream cheese chips. I’d suggest just adding additional chocolate chips or M&Ms in place of them. If you want a pop of white, use white chocolate chips.
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS
Below are directions on how to make these holiday blondies. See recipe card below for complete instructions and list of ingredients.
Step One- Combine the dry ingredients. Whisk to combine the flour, baking powder, and salt.
Step Two- Whisk the butter and sugar. In a large bowl, whisk the melted butter with the brown sugar until combined.
Step Three- Add the egg and vanilla. Whisk in until incorporated.
Step Four-Fold in the dry ingredients. Use a spatula to fold in the dry ingredients.
Step Five- Fold in the add ins. Use a spatula to stir in the M&Ms, chocolate chips and cream cheese chips. Avoid overmixing the batter.
Step Six- Transfer batter to pan. Pour the batter into an 8 x 8 inch baking pan lined with parchment paper. Smooth the top with an offset spatula.
Step Seven- Top with extra add ins. Sprinkle some extra chocolate chips, M&Ms and cream cheese chips on top before or after baking.
Step Eight- Bake. Bake for 26-29 minutes. Place the pan on a wire rack. Allow blondies to cool completely in the pan.
Step Ten- Slice and enjoy! Place blondies on a cutting board. Use a long sharp knife to cut.
Hint: Use the parchment paper overhang to lift the blondies out of the pan.
Blondies are similar to brownies in that they both have a high fat to flour ratio. This gives them both a gooey texture! Blondies are often made with brown sugar and vanilla. This gives them a rich caramel flavor.
Blondies are similar to brownies in that they both have a high fat to flour ratio. This gives them both a gooey texture! Blondies are often made with brown sugar and vanilla.
Brownies use chocolate to flavor the batter. Blondies have a caramel like flavor from brown sugar. Another difference is that most blondies are homemade! You can often find brownie mixes in the store.
STORING AND FREEZING
Room Temperature: Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
Refrigerator: Refrigerate for up to 1 week in a sealed container.
Freezer: Store the cooled and sliced blondies in a freezer bag for up to 2 months. I recommend tightly double wrapping them with plastic freezer wrap or aluminum foil. Thaw in the fridge or at room temperature overnight before serving.
MORE RECIPES YOU WILL LOVE
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted, cooled slightly
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1¼ cup all purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup holiday M&Ms
- ¼ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ¼ cup cream cheese chips*
- Spray an 8 or 9 inch cake pan with baking spray. Line the pan with parchment paper. Leave an overhang on both sides to make the blondies easier to remove from the pan once baked.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, whisk to combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the sugar and melted butter.
- Add the vanilla extract and the egg. Whisk to combine.
- With a spatula, fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Stir until just combined.
- Fold in the M&Ms, chocolate chips and cream cheese chips* (if using)
- Turn batter out into the baking pan. Spread it evenly and smooth the top with an offset spatula.
- Bake 23-26 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean or with just a few crumbs when inserted in the center of the blondies.
- Place the pan on a wire rack and allow blondies to cool completely in the pan.