These flaky blueberry strawberry pies make the perfect summer dessert! They use store bought puff pastry and are very easy to make. The simple filling is made with a combination of fresh blueberries and strawberries.
These blueberry strawberry pies are made with a single crust using puff pastry. The simple filling is a combination of sweet, juicy blueberries and strawberries.
I wanted this recipe to be simple, rustic and perfect for the July 4th or any summer gathering. These pies are just what I had in mind!
WHY THIS RECIPE WORKS
- Puff pastry crust: Puff pastry is flaky, buttery and delicious. We are using store bought puff pastry. All you have to do is roll it and cut it!
- Blueberry strawberry filling: This is the easiest strawberry and blueberry pie filling! It’s just fresh berries mixed with sugar, cornstarch and almond or vanilla extract.
- Easy: Warm, homemade pie in less than an hour from start to finish!
- Perfect summer dessert: Everyone will love these for the 4th of July or for any barbeque or summer get together!
Below are some notes about the ingredients for this recipe for strawberry blueberry pie. Please see recipe card for complete list of ingredients and their measurements.
- Store bought puff pastry: This recipe uses 2 sheets of thawed store bought puff pastry.
- Blueberries: Use fresh blueberries.
- Strawberries: Use fresh strawberries.
- Sugar: Granulated sugar sweetens the berries.
- Cornstarch: Cornstarch helps the filling thicken up as it bakes.
- Almond extract: Almond extract adds flavor to the berry filling.
- One egg + water: Use an egg and water to make an egg wash. The egg wash adds shine and a golden color to the edges of the pies. It also helps the sugar stick to it.
- Turbinado sugar: Sprinkle coarse sugar over the outer crust before baking.
MORE ABOUT PUFF PASTRY
Frozen store bought puff pastry is so easy and delicious! I always have some on hand in my freezer. It makes these pies so easy to make.
You’ll need to plan ahead to thaw it before you plan to make these pies. Thaw the puff pastry overnight in the fridge or at room temperature.
Your puff pastry should be warm enough to roll out but should be kept as cold as possible. Puff pastry is made up of paper-thin layers of dough with cold butter in between.
While it bakes, steam created from the cold butter makes the dough rise and pull apart. This creates that flaky crunch that everyone loves!
Almond extract: Instead of almond extract, use equal parts vanilla extract.
Turbinado sugar: Instead of turbinado sugar, use sparkling sugar or granulated sugar.
Below are instructions for how to make this fresh strawberry blueberry pie recipe.
Step One: Thaw puff pastry according to the package instructions. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 400 Fahrenheit.
Step Two: Roll out each sheet of puff pastry on a lightly floured surface. Roll pastry to a 12 inch rectangle. Use a small knife to cut out 5 4-inch circles from each sheet of puff pastry. Use a fork to poke holes in the middle of the circles. Place five of them on each baking sheet.
Step Three: In a medium bowl, stir to combine the cornstarch and granulated sugar. Add the strawberries, blueberries and the almond (or vanilla) extract. Toss gently til the berries are coated evenly.
Step Four: Top the pies with fruit. Spoon about a rounded tablespoon of the fruit in the middle. Leave a 1/2 inch border on the edges.
Step Five: Make the egg wash. In a small bowl, make the egg wash by whisking together the egg and water. Brush the edges with egg wash. Sprinkle generously with turbinado sugar.
Step Six: Bake. Bake 12-14 minutes until the crust is golden brown.
Size: My preferred size is a 4 inch circle. I also made some 3 inches. If you make smaller, but you’ll need to use less filling on top and make sure to leave a border.
Fruit: Use all blueberries or all strawberries.
Topping: Top them with a drizzle of icing or a scoop of ice cream! The simple icing I use in my lemon sour cream cookies would be perfect drizzled over these!
Frozen puff pastry sheets need about 6 to 8 hours to thaw in the fridge. I like to place my package of puff pastry in the fridge to thaw the night before I bake.
If you did not thaw your puff pastry overnight, you can leave it out at room temperature. Puff pastry will thaw out much faster at room temperature. Check out this article called The Best Way to Thaw Puff Pastry from The Kitchn for more information.
Yes. Lightly flour your work surface and rolling pin then evenly roll out the puff pastry.
Use a bowl or biscuit cutter. I used an upside down 4 inch glass bowl as a circle template. You could also use a 4 inch biscuit cutter if you have one.
Top the crust with berries only. If there is juice in the bowl, try to avoid adding that as it will spill over onto the parchment paper.
Reheat them in the oven. These pies are delicious at room temperature or warm. I prefer to warm them in the oven over the microwave. The oven will help the pies crisp up again.
Store these pies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days.
Freeze these strawberry blueberry pies in an airtight container for up to 1 month.
OTHER TREATS TO TRY
Blueberry Strawberry Pies
- 1 package frozen puff pastry two sheets, thawed
- all purpose flour for dusting
- 1 ¼ cups fresh strawberries cleaned, hulled, sliced or chopped
- 1 ¼ cups fresh blueberries
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¾ teaspoon almond extract vanilla extract can be used as a substitute
- turbinado sugar for sprinkling
- Thaw puff pastry according to the package instructions.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 400 Fahrenheit.
- Wash the berries. Hull the strawberries and slice them into ¼ inch thick slices. Cut the strawberries vertically, horizontally or in both directions.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out each sheet of puff pastry to roughly a 10 by 12 inch rectangle. Use a small knife to cut out 5 4-inch circles* from each sheet of puff pastry. Use a fork to poke holes in the middle of the circles. Place five of them on each baking sheet.
- In a medium bowl, stir to combine the cornstarch and granulated sugar. Add the strawberries, blueberries and the almond (or vanilla) extract. Toss gently til the berries are coated evenly.
- Spoon about a rounded tablespoon of the fruit in the middle. (Try not to scoop up any fruit juice if there is any in the bowl and to top the pies with the berries only). Leave a 1/2 inch border on the edges. It's okay if the fruit is piled up a bit. Try to divide the berries evenly among the pies.
- In a small bowl, make the egg wash by whisking together the egg and water. Brush the edges with egg wash. Sprinkle generously with turbinado sugar.
- Bake 12-14 minutes until the crust is golden brown. Allow to cool on baking sheet for about 15 minutes then enjoy!