These Brown Butter Brownies will satisfy even the biggest chocolate lover’s cravings. Brown butter adds a rich, slightly nutty flavor and makes these fudgy, gooey brownies ultra indulgent!
I just made these Flourless Chocolate Cupcakes last week, but it’s time for a chocolate recipe and here it is: Brown Butter Brownies!
THESE BROWN BUTTER BROWNIES ARE:
- SUPER chocolatey: Cocoa, melted chocolate and chocolate chips. Enough said. Oh and sprinkling flaky sea salt on top intensifies the chocolate flavor!!
- Easy to make: This recipe is completely homemade yet super simple. You could easily whip them up any day of the week! There’s the added step of browning the butter but it only takes five minutes.
- Delicious: They have a crispy crust comes from whipping the eggs and sugar together, and added richness from the chocolate and brown butter.
- Perfectly Chewy: They are also slightly chewy from the melted butter and brown sugar.
WHAT’S IN THESE BROWNIES?
- Unsalted Butter: If all you have or prefer is salted butter, that can definitely be used. If you use salted butter, I would recommend reducing the salt to about 1/4 teaspoon. The brownies owe their chewiness in part to the melted butter.
- Semi-sweet chocolate: I prefer these brownies with semi-sweet chocolate but bittersweet can also be used. They just won’t be quite as sweet.
- Vanilla extract: Lots of vanilla for lots of flavor!
- Eggs: You’ll notice there’s no baking powder or baking soda used in this recipe. The eggs are whipped and are the only leavener. The whipped eggs also help create a nice crispy top.
- Sugar: I use a combination of granulated sugar and brown sugar. Brown sugar imparts its molasses flavor and adds chewiness. Use light or dark brown sugar.
- All Purpose Flour
- Cocoa Powder: I used Dutch process, but you can use regular unsweetened cocoa powder.
- Salt: The salt balances out the sweetness of the brownies. Flaky sea salt can also be added to the top them off.
- Chocolate chips: I use dark chocolate but semi-sweet chocolate chips also work.
HOW TO ENJOY THESE BROWNIES
There’s no wrong way to eat these brownies! I think that’s a good thing but also a little bit dangerous because they’re pretty irresistible. Enjoy them room temperature or warmed in the microwave (and served with a scoop of ice cream?!).
They also freeze really well which means you can save the leftovers for later. You can also freeze them and enjoy them frozen now. See….really no wrong way to have them!
These Brown Butter Brownies are perfectly chocolatey, sweet and delicious! I hope you do yourself and your loved ones the favor of making them! Everyone will love these moist, fudgy treats and if you’re lucky, you’ll have a few left over to freeze for later!Print
Make these moist, fudgy Brown Butter Brownies for a super decadent treat. They’re super chocolatey and rich and also happen to be easy to make!
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 7 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 3/4 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup Dutch process or unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semi sweet or dark chocolate chips
- Line a 9 x 9 inch pan with parchment paper leaving enough to hang from the sides. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Place the chopped chocolate in a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Use a light colored pan if possible as this will help you better notice the butter change color. Stir it constantly. It will start to foam. Continue stirring as you watch for it to turn to a light, amber color then a medium brown and develop a nutty smell which should happen in about five minutes. Pour the brown butter over the chopped chocolate and stir until chocolate has melted completely. Allow to cool slightly.
- In a medium bowl, whisk to combine the flour, cocoa, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat together the sugars, eggs and vanilla on high speed until mixture has thickened and lightened in color, about 3-4 minutes .
With the mixer on low, slowly stream in the slightly cooled chocolate and brown butter mixture.
Stir in the dry ingredients til just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
Pour the brownie batter into the pan and use a spatula or offset spatula to evenly spread out the brownies and smooth out the top. Bake for 40- 50 minutes until a toothpick when inserted in the center comes out clean and with only a few crumbs. Keep in mind the brownies will continue to cook slightly when out of the oven, so do not over bake them. Place pan on a wire rack and allow brownies to cool completely in the pan before slicing.
Keywords: brownies, brown butter, browned butter, chocolate, chocolate chips