These Brownie Crinkle Cookies are like a chocolatey brownie in cookie form. They are stuffed with caramel and the no chill recipe is quick and easy.
These cookies combine brownies and cookies in one delicious treat! I used my Peanut Butter Stuffed Salted Brownie Cookies as the base for this recipe. Instead of peanut butter, these have a gooey, incredibly yummy caramel middle.
Why This Recipe Works
- There’s no chilling required.
- These treats are basically brownies combined with cookies!
- Chocolate lovers will love these extra chocolatey cookies.
- The caramel center is gooey and sweet.
Below are some useful notes about some of the ingredients.
- Butter: Use unsalted butter.
- Baking chocolate: I use both dark chocolate and semisweet chocolate bars from the baking aisle. You can use all of one type of chocolate or some of both.
- Chocolate chips: I use semisweet chocolate chips. Chocolate chips add melty chocolatey bites to the cookies.
- Cocoa powder: Use regular unsweetened cocoa powder and or Dutch processed.
- Sugars: I use both granulated sugar and dark brown sugar. I like dark brown for the extra molasses flavor, but light brown can be used too.
- Eggs: Use 2 large room temperature eggs.
- Rolos or caramels: Each cookie is stuffed with a Rolo or caramel.
- Sea salt (optional): Flaky sea salt balances out the sweetness. It also intensifies the chocolate flavor. Sprinkle it on either just before or right after baking.
Please see recipe card below for full list of ingredients and measurements.
Substitutions & Variations
- Instead of stuffing cookies with caramels, fill them with peanut butter like my peanut butter brownie cookies.
- I use all-purpse flour, but you can swap in a 1 to 1 gluten free flour.
- Swap in extra granulated sugar in place of the brown sugar.
Step 1: Whisk to combine the dry ingredients.
Step 2: Melt the butter and chocolate.
Step 3: Mix the eggs, sugars, and vanilla in a mixer on medium for 5 minutes, until the mixture thickens.
Step 4: Turn the mixer to low and pour in the butter and chocolate mixture.
Step 5: Fold in the dry ingredients. Fold in the chocolate chips (if using) til just combined.
Step 6: Fill a large cookie scoop or an ice cream scoop half way with batter. Stick a Rolo or caramel in the middle. Fill the rest of the scoop with the brownie cookie batter. Drop the cookies on your baking sheet. Sprinkle with flaky sea salt.
Step 7: Bake 10-12 minutes: You want to see that the edges are set and the tops are crinkly.
- Tip #1: Use room temperature eggs. Take the eggs out of the fridge an hour before using. Alternatively, you can put the eggs in a bowl of warm (not hot) water for 10-15 minutes before using them.
- Tip #2: Add the sea salt just before or immediately after baking.
- Tip #3: Cool cookies for 10-15 minutes on the baking sheet: The cookies will set as they cool.
Store leftover cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days or in the refrigerator for up to 6 days.
Freeze leftover cookies in a freezer safe storage bag for up to 1 month. I would not recommend storing the cookie dough.
Did you try this recipe or any other recipe on my website? Please leave a 🌟 star rating and 📝 comment below. I’d love to hear from you!
Brownie Crinkle Cookies
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 5 ounces dark chocolate chopped
- 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chopped
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar packed
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1/2 cups chocolate chips semi-sweet or dark
- flaky sea salt for sprinkling, optional
- 17 caramels or Rolos
- Preheat oven to 350 F and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Add the butter to a medium saucepan and heat it over medium low until it’s melted. Remove pan from the heat. Add the dark and semisweet chopped chocolate and stir until it’s melted and combined. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk to combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment or with a handheld mixer on medium high speed, mix the eggs, sugars and vanilla for 5 minutes, until mixture thickens.
- With the mixer on low speed, pour in the melted chocolate-butter mixture and mix until combined and smooth. Remove bowl from mixer stand and use a spatula gently fold in the dry ingredients until just combined. Do not overmix. Add in the chocolate chips.
- Fill an ice cream scoop half way with batter. Place one Rolo or caramel in the scoop and fill the rest of the scoop with cookie dough. Drop the cookies onto the cookie sheet. Place them 3″ apart.
- Sprinkle the cookies with flaky sea salt and bake 10-12 minutes until the center is just set. Allow to cool on the baking sheet for 10-15 minutes before then transferring them to a rack to cool.