Incredibly rich, perfectly chewy Inside Out Chocolate Chip Cookies made with lots of dutch process cocoa and white chocolate chips. They take only minutes to make, require no chill time, and are amazingly GOOD!
There’s nothing not to love about these Inside Out Chocolate Chip Cookies. They’re soft, chewy and totally satisfy any craving for something sweet and chocolatey. The rich dark cocoa filled dough is studded with white chocolate chips and is a must make for any chocolate lover!
Fall flavors have been on my mind lately and since chocolate is always on my mind, I started thinking of my Double Chocolate Cookies with Toasted Pumpkin Seeds. They feature warm cinnamon in the dough (cinnamon and chocolate are amazing together btw) and crunchy toasted pumpkin seeds. I used these cookies as the inspiration and the base of these inside out cookies.
WHAT ARE INSIDE OUT CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES?
These are not just any chocolate chip cookies….these are inside out cookies. They’re called that because, instead of the typical lighter looking cookie with darker semi sweet chocolate chips, these cookies are made with a cocoa filled dough and white chocolate chips.
I love classic chocolate chip cookies, but it’s fun to mix it up and make a different type of ccc (ccc= chocolate chip cookie). 🙂 For another FUN ccc, definitely check out my sprinkle and chocolate chip filled Birthday Cake Cookies!
In addition to providing that black and white color contrast, having both dark cocoa and white chocolate makes these SUPER chocolatey! Chocolate cookies are just the best and I’m totally drooling over these Double Chocolate Cookies from New York Times Cooking!
THESE INSIDE OUT COOKIES ARE:
- EASY TO MAKE: They take just minutes to make and require zero chilling!
- CHEWY: The centers are perfectly chewy and doughy while the edges are very slightly crispy. The brown sugar lends itself to that chewy texture and the recipe can be made with light brown or dark brown sugar. For that hint of molasses, definitely go with dark brown sugar!
- LARGE: Instead of the usual rounded tablespoon size, these cookies are about 1/4 cup of batter each!
- FULL OF FLAVOR: I will get to the chocolate in a minute, but they also feature hints of warm cinnamon and sweet vanilla.
- CHOCOLATEY: It’s worth mentioning again how chocolatey these are! I love the contrast of the dark cocoa with the ultra sweet white chocolate!
HOW TO MAKE INSIDE OUT COOKIES
- Start by combining all of the dry ingredients in a bowl (flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt). Just whisk them to combine then set aside.
- In a large bowl or the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the room temperature butter and sugars on medium speed for 3-4 minutes until fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time followed by the vanilla. Reduce speed to low and slowly beat in the dry ingredients.
- Stir in 1 cup each of the chocolate chips, reserving the remaining ¼ cups to add to the tops.
- Use a large cookie scoop or an ice cream scoop to measure the batter or eyeball it. No need to roll or flatten the balls, just scoop them and place Place balls on prepared baking sheets about 3 inches apart. Top each ball with a few of the reserved chocolate chips and a sprinkle of sea salt.
- Bake 13- 15 minutes until tops are just set. Remove from oven and transfer cookies to wire racks to cool completely.
A FEW MORE TIPS FOR MAKING THESE COOKIES
- USE AN ICE CREAM SCOOP: I use an ice cream scoop to measure and shape the dough balls. It makes scooping the dough less messy and they all come out the same size.
- STICK SOME EXTRA CHOCOLATE CHIPS ON TOP: The dough is packed with chocolate chips and you’ll taste them in every bite! That said, I like to literally stick at least 3 chocolate chips (or more!) in the top of each dough ball. This will make sure people can see what’s inside each cookie.
- TOP THEM WITH FLAKY SEA SALT: Top them with sea salt before or right after baking them. Why? That little sprinkle of salt gives your taste buds that super pleasurable salty-sweet contrast! Also, the salt balances out the sweetness from the chocolate chips. Need another reason? I think and I’ve heard it said that the salt brings out the chocolate flavors even more!
These Inside Out Chocolate Cookies are super chocolatey, loaded with flavor, and have a super indulgent texture. The hint of cinnamon make these my go to fall chocolate cookie but when is it not a good time for chocolate?!Print
These inside out chocolate chip cookies are chewy, flavorful and deeply chocolatey! Dutch process cocoa and lots of sweet white chocolate chips make for a rich chocolate taste and warm cinnamon and sweet vanilla make them even more flavorful!
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup dutch process cocoa or natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar (light or dark)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/4 cups white chocolate chips, divided
- flaky sea salt, for sprinkling
Preheat oven to 350 F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
Whisk the flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Set aside.
In a large bowl or the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugars on medium speed for 3-4 minutes until fluffy.
Add the egg followed by the vanilla. Reduce speed to low and slowly beat in the dry ingredients.
Stir in about 1 cup of the chocolate chips, reserving the remaining ¼ cup to add to the tops.
Form dough into balls about ¼ of batter each. Use a large cookie scoop or an ice cream scoop to measure the batter or eyeball it. Place balls on prepared baking sheets about 3 inches apart. Top each ball with a few of the reserved chocolate chips and a sprinkle of sea salt.
Bake 12- 14 minutes until tops are just set. Remove from oven and transfer cookies to wire racks to cool completely.
Keywords: chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, chocolate chip, chocolate, cocoa, soft cookies, chewy