This Chocolate Chip Loaf Cake is moist, buttery and packed with chocolate chips! It’s topped with a simple chocolate ganache and is so easy to make!
When you’re craving both cake and chocolate chip cookies, make this Chocolate Chip Loaf Cake! It’s tender loaf cake meets chocolatey, decadent chocolate chip cookies!
This chocolatey cake is a cross between a loaf cake and chocolate chip cookies. If this cake gets you craving chocolate chip cookies, definitely make a batch of my Sour Cream Chocolate Chip Cookies!
This Chocolate Chip Loaf Cake Is:
- Chocolatey: It’s made with over a cup of chocolate chips and topped with thick chocolate ganache!
- Rich: It’s a pound cake which means it’s both rich and buttery.
- Simple: The chocolate chips and ganache make this cake special, but it doesn’t require fancy decorating.
- Easy: It’s an easy recipe that bakes up in an hour or less. It’s definitely easier than making a layer cake.
How to Make this Chocolate Chip Loaf Cake
- Whisk together the dry ingredients. Set aside.
- Beat the butter and sugar for 1-2 minutes until creamy and light. Add the oil and beat another minute.
- Add the eggs followed by the vanilla extract. With the mixer on low, add the dry ingredients alternatively with the buttermilk. Stir in 1 1/4 cups of the chocolate chips until just incorporated. Pour the batter into a prepared loaf pan. Top with the remaining chocolate chips.
- Bake at 350 Fahrenheit for 55-70 minutes until the cake is a toothpick comes out mostly clean inserted in the center of the cake. Cool completely before frosting with the ganache.
ABOUT THE CHOCOLATE GANACHE TOPPING
You can’t beat a simple two-ingredient chocolate ganache for a topping! If you love ganache, you will love my Mini Chocolate Cake which features both a ganache filling and topping!
This topping is silky, shiny, made with a just two ingredients and so quick and easy to make!
INGREDIENTS FOR CHOCOLATE GANACHE
- Chocolate: I use semi-sweet bars of chocolate. I recommend chocolate bars over chocolate chips.
- Heavy Cream or Heavy Whipping Cream: Makes it super rich and spreadable.
Frequently Asked Questions about this Chocolate Chip Loaf Cake
Ganache is made with chocolate and heavy cream. Frosting is usually made with butter and powdered sugar. Ganache has a pourable consistency while frosting is usually fluffier and sweeter. For more information, check out this article called Ganache VS Frosting by foodiosity.com.
Your cake is done when the op springs back when you touch it and a toothpick or cake tester comes out clean or with just a few crumbs attached. For more tips on this topic, check out this thorough article called How to Tell When Cake Is Done by King Arthur Baking.
TIPS FOR MAKING THIS CAKE
When making the ganache, hop the chocolate into small, even pieces. This will help the chocolate melt faster and more evenly.
For a greater distribution of chocolate, use mini chocolate chips!
This moist, soft Chocolate Chip Loaf Cake is filled with with chocolate chips! It’s an easy recipe to make that’s even easier to decorate. It’s everything you love about cake and chocolate chip cookies with luscious chocolate ganache on top!Print
This moist, soft Chocolate chip loaf cake is filled with with chocolate chips! It’s an easy recipe to make that’s even easier to decorate. It’s everything you love about cake and chocolate chip cookies with luscious chocolate ganache on top!
FOR THE CHOCOLATE CHIP LOAF CAKE
- 1 3/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup oil, vegetable or canola
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips, regular or mini sized, divided
FOR THE CHOCOLATE GANACHE
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 5 tablespoons heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan and line it with parchment paper.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- With a handheld or stand mixer with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar together on medium-high speed for 1-2 minutes until creamy and light. Add the oil and beat one additional minute.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Turn the mixer down to medium speed, add the eggs one at a time followed by the vanilla extract. Scrape down the sides and the bottom of the bowl. With the mixer running on low speed, slowly add the dry ingredients alternatively with the buttermilk. Beat until dry ingredients are just incorporated, being careful not to overmix. Stir in 1 1/4 cups of the chocolate chips until just incorporated. Spoon or pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Top with the remaining 1/4 cup of chocolate chips.
- Bake 55-70 minutes until the cake is a toothpick comes out mostly clean inserted in the center of the cake. Remove the cake from the oven and set on a cooling rack to cool in the pan for 20 minutes. Turn the cake out and allow it to cool completely on the rack.
FOR THE CHOCOLATE GANACHE
- Place the chopped chocolate in a heatproof bowl. In a small saucepan on medium heat, bring the heavy cream to a simmer. Do not let it get to a boil. Pour the heavy cream over the chocolate. Do not stir. Let stand 3-4 minutes then stir slowly with a metal spoon until the chocolate has melted and is completely combined with the heavy cream. Spread the ganache over the cooled cake.
Keywords: chocolate chips, cake, loaf cake, chocolate, ganache, cake