This double chocolate zucchini bread is easy to make and full of chocolate flavor! It is a moist, delicious zucchini bread made with both cocoa powder and chocolate chips. It’s the perfect brunch treat or afternoon snack!
This double chocolate zucchini bread is so good. It’s a great recipe to use when your garden is overflowing with zucchini and you’re a chocolate fan! This recipe is so easy, you don’t even need a mixer.
If you’ve never baked with zucchini before, you’re in for a treat. Zucchini adds both nutrition and moisture.
This recipe is similar to my Chocolate Avocado Muffins, Chocolate Pear Cake, and my Chocolate Persimmon Cake.
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- Easy to make- This chocolate zucchini bread recipe is super easy to make. It only takes a few minutes to mix the batter together.
- Chocolatey- Not only is there cocoa powder and chocolate chips in the cake, it’s also topped with extra chocolate chips on top!
- Flavorful- This zucchini bread takes like chocolate cake! It’s made extra delicious thanks to the butter, cinnamon and vanilla extract.
- Moist– Zucchini makes this bread extra moist! Vegetable or olive oil adds additional moisture.
Below are useful notes about some of the ingredients. Please see the recipe card below for full list of ingredients and their measurements.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder- Use natural cocoa powder or Dutch process cocoa powder.
- Unsalted butter– Butter adds extra flavor. We are using melted, slightly cooled butter.
- Oil– Oil makes this bread extra moist. Use vegetable oil or olive oil.
- 2 eggs- Use two large, room temperature eggs.
- Zucchini– This recipe calls for one medium zucchini. No need to peel the zucchini or to squeeze the water out of it. Use a food processor or a box grater to grate the zucchini.
- Chocolate chips- You can use semisweet or dark chocolate chips. Use regular sized or mini chocolate chips.
Here is how to make and bake this chocolate zucchini bread.
STEP 1: Mix dry ingredients. Sift together the all-purpose flour and cocoa powder in a large bowl. Whisk in to combine the baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
STEP 2: Grate the zucchini. The best way to grate the zucchini is by using a food processor. You can also grate it by hand using a box cutter.
STEP 3: Mix the wet ingredients together. In a medium sized bowl, whisk to combine the melted butter, oil and sugars. Add the eggs followed by the vanilla extract.
STEP 4: Add the dry ingredients. Next, use a rubber spatula to fold the dry ingredients into wet ingredients. Stir in the shredded zucchini. Fold in the chocolate chips in.
STEP 5: Pour the batter into the pan. Grease a 9 by 5 inch loaf pan and line it with parchment paper. Pour the batter into the pan. Spread it evenly with an offset spatula. Top it with the remaining chocolate chips.
STEP 6: Bake. Bake at 350 for 40-50 minutes. Allow bread to cool for ten minutes before removing it from the pan to cool on a baking rack.
Hint: Leave an overhang of parchment paper on the two longer sides. This will make it easier to remove the bread after baking.
- Olive oil: instead of olive oil, use vegetable oil
- Butter: instead of butter, replace it with more oil
- Chocolate chips: instead of regular chocolate chips, use mini chocolate chips
Spoon flour into the measuring cup instead of dredging your cup in the flour.
Be careful not to overmix the batter. This will make the texture less soft.
Allow bread to cool completely before cutting it. Use a serrated knife to slice it.
MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES TO TRY:
Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar light or dark
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter melted, slightly cooled
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil or olive oil
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 1 3/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups zucchini shredded (1 medium zucchini)
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips semi sweet or dark, divided
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Butter the bottom of an 9 by 5 inch loaf pan.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, cocoa powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk to combine the melted butter, oil and sugars. Add the eggs followed by the vanilla extract.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir together until just combined. Stir in the zucchini and finally 1/2 cup of the chocolate chips.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and add the remaining 1/4 cup of chocolate chips on top.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of the bread.
There’s so much zucchini in this recipe but even the pickiest eater couldn’t tell, that’s how yummy these are! Loved this loaf, it was a huge hit at my family BBQ! Highly recommend baking this especially if you’re trying to get an extra serving of veggies into your life.
Thanks so much for making this chocolate zucchini bread, Christine. So glad it was a big hit and you are right, with all the chocolate, you would never know there’s zucchini in it!! 🙂
I remember baking this the first lockdown we had with my oldest son. He couldn’t believe his eyes that it is made with zucchini! It is so moist and chocolatey you can’t even tell it’s made with a vegetable!
Love hearing this! Thank you so much for making this zucchini bread, Sam!