Hard to believe this super moist, sweet but not too sweet, ultra chocolatey Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread has a cup and a half of zucchini in it!
If you’ve ever made zucchini fritters before, you’ve seen how full of water zucchini is! I’ve made them using the salting method and even by ringing them out using a kitchen towel and I’m always amazed at how much water drains out of them! The cool thing about this Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread recipe is that the zucchini and all its water gets baked right in!
Zucchini doesn’t have a strong taste, so you can’t taste it, BUT it adds nutrition and moisture! I can’t say that the shredded zucchini makes this bread healthy (sorry), but it does add a little nutrition! Also, the bread is made with 1/2 cup of sugar which is much less than a full on piece of chocolate cake (even though this tastes like chocolate cake!)
This quick bread is sweet, but not too sweet. You could add a few tablespoons of brown sugar to the batter if you want to go for more of a chocolate cake sweetness. Another option is to turn it into even more of a dessert would be to top it with a scoop of ice cream!
Yes there’s cocoa in the batter, but when you see the way the chips melt into the bread, you’ll see why double chocolate is the way to go! My husband loves dark chocolate, so I used dark chocolate chips. You can also use semi sweet or even peanut butter chips.
One last thing I have to mention is that this heavenly treat is EASY to whip up! All the dry ingredients get stirred together, same thing with the wet ingredients (just stir the oil and sugar), shred one zucchini and add it along with the chocolate chips to the batter and that’s it! Pop it in the oven and your kitchen will soon start smelling amazing!
Leave the bread in the tin to cool for about ten minutes before then turning it out to cool on a wire rack. You can definitely eat it right away, but I’d suggest waiting until the next day as it amazingly tastes better the next day! I like to make it in the evening and enjoy it the next day for breakfast (or for a snack or a dessert)!
If you loved this Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread, try my Moist Fluffy Banana Bread!Print
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups zucchini, shredded (1 medium zucchini)
- 3/4 cup chocolate chip, semi sweet or dark, divided
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Butter the bottom of an 8 x 4 inch loaf pan.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cocoa, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together the oil and sugar. Add the eggs followed by the vanilla.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir together until just combined. Stir in the zucchini and finally 1/2 cup of the chocolate chips.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and add the remaining 1/4 cup of chocolate chips on top.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of the bread.